Music stands in Mini Corps

We had a couple people using stands for our MC show with DCK because that night in Rochester was their FIRST TIME performing with the corps. It's the reality of the mini corps activity.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does MCA or DCA for that matter allow music stands in performances? I can't ever remember a Drum Corps bringing stands on the field, why does mini corps allow it? It looks like a band to me. Is it fair that one group is memorizing and another doesn't have to? I know this subject has been knocked around a few times, but why hasn't anything been done about it? Just wondering while I have nothing to do right now with no MIni Corps to listen to...

Not this again.... must be the off season.... :drool:

Wasn't there a thread like this last year?

Anywho... Practice with the stands at home... Memorize the music, unless there are special cirucumstances.. By this, speaking as a music teacher now, I mean if you have a member that has special needs. No one should be excluded in drum corps and if you're mini corps or whatever corps has a member like this, they should be accomodated, just like if they were in the educational system. On the other hand, if you know of such a member within your ranks, accomodate them with an easier part so that they too can be without a music stand when it comes time for a performance.

That would be the only circumstance I would forsee about putting music stands on the field. If you practice your music enough and correctly, you can have it memorized.

JMO.

Just making the point that we ought to to get credit because we CAN do it. Not penalized for it. I never said NO ONE else could do it.

disagree.

credit is awarded for achievement of quality of performance, not for displaying a skill that most of us (myself included) have been in posession of since grade school. Not saying your group Doesn't achieve quality, mind you, just saying that the points are awarded for what you achieve - not derived.

if you're reading from music and not getting credit for cleanliness (among other factors that memorization can yield), that's a concession you need to be prepared for, rather than whining about it.

... "THIS I believe..... shut up and play!"

Edited by brigmell01

Oooh they are up early today...but where's Nick?

I am with Frank and Rick about this. The Ghost Riders wouldnt be able to do their wheel with music stands in the way. This is starting to become annoying...

If there was a vote, I would vote for no stands. Those are for the community bands and performers that dont realize what drum corps is. This is DCA, not the 4th of July picnic in the band shell. If it is brought up at a meeting, I will bet that it will be shot down. It might be best to leave it alone and take what you get if you use stands.

If you want to compete...make the playing field level. No one is complaining that you have so many "professionals" Tom. Mini Corps like GR, ERIE and now Frank says even the Golden Eagles are not filled with professional musicians. They are filled with real old school drum corps guys. They are predecessors of this whole thing. I am not saying that there are no pros or semi pros, or even players that could be pros in those groups. There are certainly some very talented teachers and perormers like the Captain has said. We just dont go around bragging about it or looking for extra credit because we have those guys. Renegades came to their 1st DCA mini corps contest in Syracuse preared and ready to knock someone out! They didnt use stands, as I said they were prepared.

Sorry, no extra points for using music stands, in fact in light of this thread, I would consider penalizing, if anything. Maybe I wouldnt go that far but certainly you cannot be serious about getting extra credit for using a stand. LOL...Honestly, performers that cant read can stand behind a stand, learn the page turns and fake everyone out using the music stand only as a prop. You want credit for that? You better start your own circuit called MSA instead of MCA...LMAO

BTW...I do not speak for the Ghost Riders on this forum. Rod and or Doug are the spokesmen for GR. I speak for Donny only.

Go for it! Wake Nick up Gary...

Donny

Ok.. I get it .. the community doesn't care for stands, or reading music during a competiition.

I get it.. I buy it.....Memorizing is part of the culture and reading shouldn't be allowed.

Around here it's un-professional and embarrassing. My mistake. I obviously have mis-read the current atmosphere of DCA.

But just for the record, some of the comments indicate a mis-understanding of my statements:

...not saying anyone else can't read

.. not whinning about not getting credit.. I was just trying to make an example of the value of reading, as opposed to the statement that it should be penalized

... never said anything about using stands on the field

.. didn't mean to denigrate memorizing in any way

.. respect what you all do .. sorry for any implication otherwise

I'm put in my place ... happy?

thanks for your understanding.

Edited by brassomaniac

Come on Donny..

We don't have any more pros or teachers than anyone else (most of them didn't travel to contests with us). And mostly the same drum corps guys the rest of you have.

And we didn't have ANY Donnie Allen's at DCA.

No , I wasn't serious about getting credit for reading. I was just responding to a statement that we should get REDUCED credit.

I'm sorry that this couldn't have been a more friendly discussion. And that you can't just let people do what they do best.

Also sorry if it appears that I'm bragging about our personnel or program. It's a message meant to recruit, not to try and show any one else up on here.

I know that all of you have the same (and better) staff , players and programming, and I don't presume to try and impress you with it. Just trying to build something good HERE.

can i be more clear than this?

I've made all my explanations and apologies.

What else do want?

Edited by brassomaniac

What about MSA...you dont like that? I thought it was pretty good...

LOL

Donny

I am being friendly of course. I also have a sense of humor. Those are good to have.

Donny

And just to throw some fuel on the fire....

I'm a professional musician. Sometimes I use music. Sometimes I don't.

I play better when I have my music memorized because then it becomes internalized which frees me up to focus on performing and executing at a higher level. Not only do I have my stuff memorized, I know it and own it.

But, conversely, I have some memory issues since chemo that I am still trying to overcome so sometimes it is better for me to have stuff in front of me for longer than usual. Actually, being forced to have my music memorized for field shows has really helped me improve my brain function in that area. (Now the actual moving and playing the correct notes at the correct time has always been a struggle for the past few years...LOL)

My 2 cents.

Sara, you may have memory issues due to chemo, but that's not the only source. Like it or not, as we all get older we suffer in varying degrees from CRS.

I used to memorize based on harmonic structure and intervals. Now I sometimes have trouble remembering what KEY I'm READING in!