Earthquake...

Actually, I'll have to look for a link but I found this to be very interesting. (I live in earthquake country, I have to be interested). There was a tool used last night by several places (Cisco Systems, a Fire house, a hospital, couple of other places). It measures the P-waves. These are the waves of the earthquake that come before the quake and are undetectable by humans. (Sometimes animals can detect them). This machine detects the p-waves and instantaneously shuts off the gas, can open automatic doors, and anything else hooked up to it that needs to be shut off, and can also switch ON emergency generators. Last night, the p-waves hit 4 seconds before the quake and the machine did what it was supposed to do.

It was in it's very beta stages during the loma prieta earthquake and those p-waves hit 14 seconds before the quake.

This looks to be a very good invention!

Will look for a link.

Here's that link:

Early Warning System

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'll have to look for a link but I found this to be very interesting. (I live in earthquake country, I have to be interested). There was a tool used last night by several places (Cisco Systems, a Fire house, a hospital, couple of other places). It measures the P-waves. These are the waves of the earthquake that come before the quake and are undetectable by humans. (Sometimes animals can detect them). This machine detects the p-waves and instantaneously shuts off the gas, can open automatic doors, and anything else hooked up to it that needs to be shut off, and can also switch ON emergency generators. Last night, the p-waves hit 4 seconds before the quake and the machine did what it was supposed to do.

It was in it's very beta stages during the loma prieta earthquake and those p-waves hit 14 seconds before the quake.

This looks to be a very good invention!

Will look for a link.

That's cool. Any advance warning is better than none. Do you think Chris' dogs could operate this equipment?

I got to be part of a miniscule earthquake in Paducah back in the 1990s (2.something) and I assure you, I had a rather impressive p-wave during and shortly after the earthquake!

For several months after the quake any sounds even remotely resembling the quake (large trucks or thunder) brought it all back in startling clarity. I don't know how you guys do it.

Sending warm thoughts your way.

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

Well it was my first earthquake besides the tiny ones I've felt before. Terrified me since I'm NOT used to them at all. I guess it serves me right for thinking it was funny that people were reacting to thunder the other day. (It doesn't thunder here hardly at all)

Welcome to the 'hood ... I'm just off the lake.

I didn't feel the aftershocks, but they were talking about them, ad nauseum, on Kron 4 this morning.

(... and here's one on me from Luka's Tap Room ... :rock:)

Right on!

Hey, I hear thursday nights is going to be lesbian cruising night at the Whole Foods, I'm loving my new neighborhood!!!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

OCCAISIONAL tornado? People live in areas where 20-30 damage-causing tornadoes happen every year. We haven't had a major damage causing earthquake since 1989. My friend lives in South Carolina and called me last night and said "THAT's why I don't live in California". Huh? Her house has been nearly destroyed three times in the last 5 years by hurricanes. They come every year many many times.

Eh...what evah.... if it will help to stop people from coming to California in droves, let them believe what ever they want.

Lol.

OH MY GOODNESS LISA, I can't tell you how many times since I have moved to Florida the number of people that give me crap about the CA earthquakes. It boggles my mind how uneducated people outside of CA are regarding earthquakes. They believe that because they don't live in CA it won't happen to them. I have news for them, the attached map shows that the Mid-west and East Coast are just as much at risk. Ignorance is bliss.

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/

OH MY GOODNESS LISA, I can't tell you how many times since I have moved to Florida the number of people that give me crap about the CA earthquakes. It boggles my mind how uneducated people outside of CA are regarding earthquakes. They believe that because they don't live in CA it won't happen to them. I have news for them, the attached map shows that the Mid-west and East Coast are just as much at risk. Ignorance is bliss.

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/

That is very true. I wrote a blog post about this in July.

WARNING: This blog post may be educational. Proceed with care.

The first significant seismic event since I've moved West occurred at around 4:30AM today. Actually, you might be amazed by just how many earthquakes there are in the United states on a regular basis.

The 4.2 wasn't even the strongest earthquake I've been in - that would have been the 5.1-ish that was centered 5 miles outside of my hometown that occured on June 10, 1987 - while I was at mom's for the summer.

I was in the living room and all the sudden it seemed like the central air unit that was up in the attic crawl space had come off it's moorings and was shaking the house. There was also some thumping that I figured out later was the bookcase at the end of the hall banging around. My little brother and I ran outside to see what was up and some kid down the street was screaming "It's an earthquake". And sure enough it was.

There have been some pretty major quakes where I grew up at in Southwestern Indiana. I grew up in an area known as the Wabash Valley Fault System. Of course, the 8 point plus earthquakes were all many years ago, but the potential for a "big one" remains.

Interestingly enough, there is also a wine industry in Southern Illinois north of where the fault lies, much like Napa Valley in California. It makes you wonder if the shifting of the earth somehow makes for good grape growing.

This was kind of weird ... Almost knocked me off the couch here in the East Bay. It was just a single jolt, like a wave passing by. When we had the 4.2 in San Leandro (or thereabouts) a couple of months ago, my bed was shaking for 15 seconds or so.

Are you sure that was the quake? ^0^

Though 15 seconds might be a bit er....short..... :P

OCCAISIONAL tornado? People live in areas where 20-30 damage-causing tornadoes happen every year. We haven't had a major damage causing earthquake since 1989. My friend lives in South Carolina and called me last night and said "THAT's why I don't live in California". Huh? Her house has been nearly destroyed three times in the last 5 years by hurricanes. They come every year many many times.

Eh...what evah.... if it will help to stop people from coming to California in droves, let them believe what ever they want.

Lol.

Actually, I lived in Riverside, CA back in the late 80's/early 90's. I experienced two earthquakes in the time I lived there.

I've lived in Kansas for 13 years now. My town had its last tornado in 1921. I've never even heard the tornado sirens go off, other than during the monthly tests.