Changing Corps

Members only have so long to march, do they really want to spend their lives wondering, What if? Does a corps really want a member spending their time wanting to be somewhere else?

I toyed with moving to another corps after my rookie year with the Troopers. I had moved from a 43rd place corps (that folded midseason in 84) to a 9th place corps. Of course I had to wonder "what if" for a little while. But after I decided I was going to return to Casper I had no more doubts. I still, to this day, do not wonder "what if." That's just me, and I don't expect everyone to have the same feelings.

Edited by TerriTroop

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with people wanting to switch corps. It's your time, it's your life, it's your decision.

And yet, wouldn't it feel better if you helped take your corps from, say, 20th place to Finals?

I was fortunate that I never had to make that decision. Troop got better each year I marched until my ageout year, so there was no thought of jumping ship. I could have gone Top 6, but it wouldn't have been the same. If I was going to get a Finals medal, I wanted it to be in a Troopers uni. That's why a lot of people look at corps jumpers in a bad light. Each person who jumps from a corps lower in the rankings hurts the chances that the original corps will move up in the ranks.

This is the sentence that I interpreted as a guilt trip. I don't have hangups about this issue...every corps change I made, but one, was because the corps went inactive...the one that didn't go inactive right away, my parents pulled me from it because they didn't like what was happening with some of the admin stuff...and went inactive the next year...I was 12, I didn't get much of a say and was in fact pretty upset at first. Once I found a corps that would stick around, I stuck as well :) But I'll also say, that corps I stuck with provided what I needed as well. For me, that was a rich history, an environment I could learn in, staff I respected the heck out of, a greater challenge every season and great folks...as well as all the things my folks looked for, we got fed regularly, they trusted the staff, etc.

I'd just hate for a member to read this stuff and assume that they're responsible for their former corps' lack of performance if they leave....they're not. That's my deal with this topic.

Peace,

CuriousMe

I toyed with moving to another corps after my rookie year with the Troopers. I had moved from a 43rd place corps (that folded midseason in 84) to a 9th place corps. Of course I had to wonder "what if" for a little while. But after I decided I was going to return to Casper I had no more doubts. I still, to this day, do not wonder "what if." That's just me, and I don't expect everyone to have the same feelings.

But that's the point isn't it? You got to make that choice without any guilt that the Trooper's fate were solely in your hands. If you decided you wanted to go, but were guilt-ed in to staying...well, I don't imagine you'd have the same warm, fuzzy feelings about the whole experience.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

I'd also like to add one more thing.

One of the reasons why people switch corps is because each one is different. Different history, different traditions, even different music. For example, the mandarins play asian-themed shows, Pioneer plays irish songs, Phantom Regiment is known for their classical selections, it never ends! It's similar in open class too. Some people don't know what they want when they start, and go back and forth between corps until they feel comfortable. Is it wrong? Yeah, sometimes. But no one should ever feel commited to a corps they don't like, otherwise there's no sense of family, which is one of the most cherished things in drum corps.

you can, if you want to.

i went from phantom to devs. i've got great friends from both corps and amazing experiences from each that i couldn't've gotten anywhere else.

Plus two drum titles and a trip to Japan, who can complain about that :)

Why are people upset at members jumping from one corps to another? But no one is making a huge fuss about staff members not being loyal to one corps. Staff changes every year why can't the kids. I know many people that switch corps to follow a mentor whos a staff member.

That's nothing new. Happened to Garfield after the 1971 season when our drum instructor George Tuthill was let go. Seemed like 1/2 the drumline went to the Cabs where he was also teaching at the time.

You're missing my original point.

It means more to me to bring a corps into Finals/Semis than to jump to the Top 6. I'll always feel that way. If you interpret this as a guilt trip, then it's your own personal hangup and not mine.

For you then, making a change would have been a problem. You made what for you was the perfect choice. Others do not feel that way at all, so for them switching is just not a problem as long as they have fulfilled their requirements for the season (or something bad outside of the membership control happens).

It's up to the individual person to decide where/if to march the following summer and I'll always support that decision, but don't ever think that moving doesn't have consequences.

Now that is where you get back to guilt trip time, IMO.