Phantom Regiment show choices...

"Old" or "New?"  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Phantom Regiment's trend of repeating previously performed works, or would you prefer 'new' selections?

• Repeats, a la Pagliacci, Spartacus, Scythtian Suite, 2nd year repeats (90/91, 93/94)
    • New selections never performed by the corps
    • Some other option explained below

Listen, I'm gonna yell til I'm horse like all the rest of you, so don't think I'm totally bashing the corps. I bought my fair share of the merchandise, and the blue Firebird shirt is one of my all-time favorite PR designs. Flock of birds with 'Cuba' background was pretty cool on white 't,' too. But I'm getting tired of seeing shows that quote large sections of previously performed works.

The only show I marched was a repeat theme: 94 copied 93 in form and much of the closer. Same general idea with new opener and balad. 90/91 had the same closer. Many other times in the 90's/00's the corps has repeated music performed in the 70's/80's. Scythian Suite (opener from Faust). Firebird. Now Spartacus, itself a repeat of a repeat. Talk about "Episode III!"

The symphonic repertoire is obviously something that offers a wide choice of selections that even Phantom Regiment has yet to totally explore. Hell, Phantom could perform new selections every year, never repeating a single piece, and (basically) never run out of options for future shows.

There are a whole litany of composers and their works that Phantom has not begun to explore, and I would like to see them do so. The idea of resurrection was a strong theme in Faust, but unfortunately, it does not play into the story of Spartacus! While this music is stirring and automatically creates an atmosphere and expectations that the corps and design staff will undoubtedly rise to and perhaps exceed, is it really necessary to perform the same 10-15 shows over and over? They worked well in the 70's and 80's--GREAT!! Now can we move on? Play them at SOS in retreat for the local alum to keep them sending in their $50 in contributions and reliving the "glory years" and so forth. And put something new on the field.

Am I alone in this desire? I mean, we've seen some REALLY great suggestions in this chat room for new shows for a whole bunch of corps. And the BOD or Dan or whoever decided...on repeating Spartacus again? Do they think they'll pass out programs again and wow everybody with that innovative gimmick again?

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thank you. And kick butt, 08 members. I'm still going to be yelling like a crazy man for you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't going to perform a show anything like the 1981/82 one. It shares the same name, possibly the same theme. Phantom is widely known as one of the best corps music wise, they don't do the same piece every year, they usually wait at least 10 years. Who cares? They're way different arrangements and it's good music that doesn't feel redundant.

They aren't going to perform a show anything like the 1981/82 one. It shares the same name, possibly the same theme. Phantom is widely known as one of the best corps music wise, they don't do the same piece every year, they usually wait at least 10 years. Who cares? They're way different arrangements and it's good music that doesn't feel redundant.

You know, in all fairness, I'll bet a Dublin Dr Pepper they don't even do the music of Spartacus...kind of like Faust, you know? Faust with no Faust, Spartacus with no Spartacus! Genius. Take a theme from the 80's and a method of the 00's.

So if we heard New World in the "9" years, would that be OK by your theory? I mean, they could just pick the best 10 shows from the PR past and play them each every 10 years! Future members would know exactly what the theme based on the last digit of the competition year!

While I personally like some of their older shows better(I think 89-94 were the best years of Phantom Regiment), I just don't think they are quite as amazing as they used to be. So I think it would be a mistake to bring back those shows. I don't know if the performance level would be quite as good with the current staff.

I think they should stick with their corps concept of classical music, but pick new selections that they haven't used before. I think they are also better when they pick music other top 12 corps haven't used either.

Spartacus is such a good show it DESERVES to be played again. They repeated this show in 81 and 82 because there as so much to put in it, it couldn't be done in one year. Why do we have to have something completely new ALL THE TIME? And I hope that they do pull some of their alumn back in with a remember when show. Danged if you do, danged if you don't. :beer:

All I know, is if I get to hear Adagio for Spartacus played by Phantom this year, I'll be in absolute heaven!

While I personally like some of their older shows better(I think 89-94 were the best years of Phantom Regiment), I just don't think they are quite as amazing as they used to be. So I think it would be a mistake to bring back those shows. I don't know if the performance level would be quite as good with the current staff.

I think they should stick with their corps concept of classical music, but pick new selections that they haven't used before. I think they are also better when they pick music other top 12 corps haven't used either.

Performance wise...I think Regiment was at its height during those late 70s, early 80s shows...(relatively speaking)....so I think kicking it old school would be great :beer:

You know, in all fairness, I'll bet a Dublin Dr Pepper they don't even do the music of Spartacus...kind of like Faust, you know? Faust with no Faust, Spartacus with no Spartacus! Genius. Take a theme from the 80's and a method of the 00's.

So if we heard New World in the "9" years, would that be OK by your theory? I mean, they could just pick the best 10 shows from the PR past and play them each every 10 years! Future members would know exactly what the theme based on the last digit of the competition year!

I said the same pieces, not the same arrangements. You obviously missed the part where they said it would be NOTHING like the 81/82 show. I doubt they will even think of putting the same pieces as the did in the 80's, but even if they do it's going to be great and appropriate. Phantom Regiment is definitely not the only corps to play the same song twice. They play high caliber shows that are always memorable and never feel redundant, that's why they're out there teaching the corps, writing drill, writing and arranging the music, and not you.

[edit]

"By no means should you expect the 2008 version to be anything like these past versions"
Edited by PhantomPhan1989

Performance wise...I think Regiment was at its height during those late 70s, early 80s shows...(relatively speaking)....so I think kicking it old school would be great :beer:

The late 70's and early 80's were also great. The only reason I don't know if they should redo those musical years, is because I just don't think their staff is quite to the level it was then, and if they redo them, it might be somewhat of a letdown.

I agree that alot of corps redo shows, but it just seems like if they have done a fantastic job of it earlier in their history, it can just never be quite as good again. I am not afraid to admit I have been wrong on this before. There have been a few times corps have done it better the second time, just not the majority of the time.

The late 70's and early 80's were also great. The only reason I don't know if they should redo those musical years, is because I just don't think their staff is quite to the level it was then, and if they redo them, it might be somewhat of a letdown.

I agree that alot of corps redo shows, but it just seems like if they have done a fantastic job of it earlier in their history, it can just never be quite as good again. I am not afraid to admit I have been wrong on this before. There have been a few times corps have done it better the second time, just not the majority of the time.

WHAT THE HELL?