Phantom Regiment show choices...

"Old" or "New?"  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Phantom Regiment's trend of repeating previously performed works, or would you prefer 'new' selections?

• Repeats, a la Pagliacci, Spartacus, Scythtian Suite, 2nd year repeats (90/91, 93/94)
    • New selections never performed by the corps
    • Some other option explained below

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like for corps to go back and revisit their history every once and a while. And considering that drum corps is constantly changing and evolving, the 2008 PR is going to be much different than 81/82... while still paying homage to their past.

That being said, you can't make a classic show without trying something new first. And composers aren't well known and popular until their work becomes popularized.

I guess you can put me on both sides of the fence. :)

Well I mean, there is music from Spartacus (the ballet) composed by Aram Khachaturian. There was a lot of music written for Spartacus just from this guy. So who knows.

For some reason, I can only see only one song or so that isn't from Spartacus at all

do tell?

If you have kids you'll appreciate this...After watching ICE AGE 2 with my kids at the end of the movie you'll hear the Love Theme from Sparticus...

I thought it was a great version and would fit better than the orginals some of us performed in the 80's. This verison is much slower than the orginal and would make a wonderful powerhouse ballad.

You may want to check out The Hudsucker Proxy as well.

I have hesitated to post my opinion here due to the fact it will probably be written off by most people due to perceived bias.

In the same way that they've re-used the crab wedge and leg-kick, I think that in re-doing a classic show Phantom is admitting that they're not really sure what new concepts they can bring to the show-design table anymore.

I just think it's a shame. Classical music is such a huge genre, and I just can't believe that instead of choosing one of the thousands of great pieces out there they would opt to redo a show they've done not once, but two times in the past.

Well...perhaps.

"Spartacus" is just a title...we could get thrown a curve ball and only see bits and pieces of the Khatch along with some other stuff in the same vein.

Then again, it could be an indirect cribbing from 81/82...but as an admitted OG fan in some regards, that's fine with me too. :)

I want to see visual links to the past and hear some musical links to the past.

I dont want to hear the same thing done over too many times but certain classic moves or pieces that are owned by a corps, it is a signature, it is an identity.

IF there is a musical phrase included from the past classic Phantom shows I will be part of the crowd going berzerk over it. (just never 1812 again)

I hope very much to hear some sort of reprise done so well that I am applauding both the present performance and the past.

Thats goosebumps to me.