Phantom Regiment show choices...

"Old" or "New?"  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Phantom Regiment's trend of repeating previously performed works, or would you prefer 'new' selections?

• Repeats, a la Pagliacci, Spartacus, Scythtian Suite, 2nd year repeats (90/91, 93/94)
    • New selections never performed by the corps
    • Some other option explained below

The late 70's and early 80's were also great. The only reason I don't know if they should redo those musical years, is because I just don't think their staff is quite to the level it was then, and if they redo them, it might be somewhat of a letdown.

Ummmm... Me no comprende. Those are two great staffs (I would not be willing to call the current musical staff on a lower level by any stretch), two very different eras of DCI, and we will probably be treated to two interpretations of the music (assuming they actually stay with music from Spartacus and not just tell the Spartacus story). I for one eagerly anticipate a(nother) powerhouse production of Spartacus!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE HELL?

I just felt like the shows in the 80's and 90's were so well put together. I just don't feel like their show designs today are as good as those back then. And their drill lacks the spark of the older shows. Also I don't ever remember hearing the "Splatty Brass" problems you hear these days from them when they try to hit the powerful note. Just seemed like they had better brass instructors, and better drill writers than they do these days. It's just like this year, when they ended with Firebird Suite, it just wasn't as good as the Cavies version in 97, or even when PR did it before. That's why I wish they would do music that they haven't done before.

A musical organization revisiting a landmark program more than a quarter century later is an outstanding opportunity for a new generation of musicians and fans to appreciate the new while saluting what has come before.

I never got to see the shows in the early 80s, so it is new to me!

Besides, DCI is so different today than it was 10 or 25 years ago, it is not likely that anything but the basic melody of the music will be the same. This is not music that has been over-played by bands and corps for years (West Side Story, etc.), right?

All I know, is if I get to hear Adagio for Spartacus played by Phantom this year, I'll be in absolute heaven!

w/Stp:

I don't care what else play. They could put a Spartacus/Marry Poppins medley on the field and be I'd be ecstatic as as long as this was part of the show!

Edited by skajerk

I don't care what they play. I'm sure I'll enjoy their show. Though, I wouldn't mind some Pagliacci.

I do not see that there is a problem with programming music that has been done before. Symphony Orchestras, Ballet Companies, and Opera Companies do it all the time. There are great works that will always be standards and why should current performers not be allowed to experience a piece of music that has been done before? The only problem will be that audience members will have a preconceived notion of how they think the show should go. This has happend to me many times when whatching shows that have been repeated.

i think it's human nature, and ultimately, a comfort zone, for people to go back to things that they know and love. i enjoy seeing PR's new take on old favorites. some of the stuff they play makes it seem like (to me, anyways) that it's totally new to the field. my $0.02.

If you have kids you'll appreciate this...After watching ICE AGE 2 with my kids at the end of the movie you'll hear the Love Theme from Sparticus...

I thought it was a great version and would fit better than the orginals some of us performed in the 80's. This verison is much slower than the orginal and would make a wonderful powerhouse ballad.

Generally speaking, I'd much rather hear a creative new arranagement of a musical masterpiece by a famous composer than more unrecognizable music by an unknown, obscure composer or even worse, "original" crap by a high school band director on an ego trip.