Phantom Regiment show choices...

"Old" or "New?"  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Phantom Regiment's trend of repeating previously performed works, or would you prefer 'new' selections?

• Repeats, a la Pagliacci, Spartacus, Scythtian Suite, 2nd year repeats (90/91, 93/94)
    • New selections never performed by the corps
    • Some other option explained below

And to the OP, I can see how this would bug you – 94 was great but it did feel like a repeat so I understand your feeling cheated of a new show the one year you got to march your dream corps

But I still like 94 and consider it own its own merits as a fine show (I've soften on hating repeats now that I'm not getting beat by them)

haha...funny that a Rockfordite would be complaining about PR repeating stuff, right?

Who asked if I knew what they're doing? I don't. But look back around page 6...I think I was the first to call it: "I'll bet they don't even use the music of Spartacus." A la Faust...there was no Faust in Faust...would be kind of interesting/funny/weird/unique to do Spartacus as the theme only with no Katchaturian (sp) in the production, huh?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the very show that started the revolution of telling stories and having themes in drum corps shows. it has essentially paved the way for modern drum corps - among several other things.

1971 would like a word with you.

Edited by Jayzer

haha...funny that a Rockfordite would be complaining about PR repeating stuff, right?

Who asked if I knew what they're doing? I don't. But look back around page 6...I think I was the first to call it: "I'll bet they don't even use the music of Spartacus." A la Faust...there was no Faust in Faust...would be kind of interesting/funny/weird/unique to do Spartacus as the theme only with no Katchaturian (sp) in the production, huh?

I asked you....

What a pointless thread.

I asked you....

What a pointless thread.

No, but seriously...if we removed all 'pointless' threads, exactly how many would remain? And if 'pointless' threads were outright banned, how much DCP traffic would depart as well? Then what would we sit around and discuss all day...89 Regiment???

Small ideas are expressed with few words.

1971 would like a word with you.

Seeing as you havent seen PR's Spartacus.... how would you know that they didnt take story telling one step further than 71? Isn't that like speaking about something that you haven't experienced so you really shouldn't comment on it, and if you do your opinion is less valid than those that have experienced it?

Edited by Phantom&Phitch

I'm glad they are doing Spartacus. I like the 80's versions but I'd like to hear something updated and see what they can do with it now... to those saying they are running out of ideas for designs, well you havent seen it yet. Maybe it will be a brand new take on Spartacus with new and amazing stuff...

I dunno... do you guys ever watch old shows and think "it would be so cool if they did _____"? I'll hold all reservations until I see the production, but I'm happy to hear an updated version if they are playing some of the same music... It's like watching really old movies... I like the plot and themes but bc they are so old it sometimes ruins it... thank God for remakes.

And to the girl that said she prefered Cavies 97 version of Firebird over PR's 07 version... :sshh:

Seeing as you havent seen PR's Spartacus.... how would you know that they didnt take story telling one step further than 71? Isn't that like speaking about something that you haven't experienced so you really shouldn't comment on it, and if you do your opinion is less valid than those that have experienced it?

Well, luckily for me, he didn't say anything about storytelling being taken one step further. He said it was "the very show that started the revolution of telling stories and having themes in drum corps shows".

All I was saying is that a decade earlier, both Madison and the Cavaliers had themed shows, in Alice in Wonderland and the Circus Show.

Well, luckily for me, he didn't say anything about storytelling being taken one step further. He said it was "the very show that started the revolution of telling stories and having themes in drum corps shows".

All I was saying is that a decade earlier, both Madison and the Cavaliers had themed shows, in Alice in Wonderland and the Circus Show.

Q: have you seen both Madison 71 and Cavaliers 71?

also, how can you compare what they did to something you haven't seen? perhaps the having themes part of his post is incorrect, but can you really contest that PR's Spartacus didn't start a story telling revolution if you haven't seen it?

No, but seriously...if we removed all 'pointless' threads, exactly how many would remain? And if 'pointless' threads were outright banned, how much DCP traffic would depart as well? Then what would we sit around and discuss all day...89 Regiment???

Small ideas are expressed with few words.

Pointless due to the fact no music selections have been announced. Period...end of discussion.

I didn't say that it was the first show in the world to have a story or theme, to do so would be asinine. However, the frequency of shows that used a story/theme grew significantly in the 80's. The Spartacus shows were probably the most in depth any corps had been to that point. As the season progressed, the audience had a hard time understanding what was going on, hence the librettos. They went out on a limb unlike any other had before and after a couple years people picked up on it... and voila, modern themed drum corps shows started happening every single year.

Also.. not that this is a very valid point.. the Spartacus shows are the first ones on corpsreps.com to have a "title", "theme", or whatever you'd like to call it in red.

Edited by euphononium