Orange Bowl Memories

I marched my first finals there in 1983. It was a rickety old place 24 years ago... I can't imagine how bad it is now. The nieghborhood around the stadium was rough, although that doesn't seem unusual when compared to the Citrus Bowl and Legion Field. The main thing I remember was how great the turf was. It was natural grass, but cut as low as a putting green.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1970 VFW- My first major show. First big time corps I saw was the Cavies in prelims (from about four feet away, sitting on the sideline of some crummy field). When they placed 11th (I never heard about the penalty) I couldn't believe there were any better corps, much less 10.

And THE PLANES. Which seemed to go over finals every 15 minutes or so completely drowning out the corps.

B)-->

QUOTE(Jay B @ Nov 13 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was there for 70 VFW. I remember getting lost trying to find the stadium and having trouble getting directions as it took me a while to find someone who spoke English. Its an OK stadium for drum corp, of course made a little better by the 70 Troopers. The Cotton Bowl in 71 was an improvement.

Yes, it was, as a stadium...however, at prelims we were standing just outside of the gate waiting to enter the field area, in our WOOL uniforms, and I overheard one security guy telling another that it was 135 degrees at field level in the stadium. b**bs

1983. Security was quite lax. Although I had a valid DCI staff pass, I never used it. I walked in once flashing a non-existant hand stamp. The next time I counterfeited a yellow wristband by rolling up a discarded Hardee's flyer. Finally I re-entered, using my library card!

I then hopped the elevator to the press box. Stepping off, I found myself smack dab in the middle of the security staff meeting. I just stood there, nodding approval as the chief instructed the assemblage.

Then I grabbed an empty seat, and occupied it through 5 or 6 corps, until it was commandeered by its rightful owner ------- Don Pesceone.

1970 VFW Nationals in a season that was kinda up and down for The St. Ritas Brassmen, we were knocked out of finals by the last corps to go on in the afternoon, If I remember correctly it was the Belleville Black Knights. It was the last time I went through a full pre-performance inspection and my first "Nationals" competition. I had competed in the World Open but this was the 1st AL or VFW. The disappointment was very intense but I learned so much from the experience.

You're right, Frank. No excuse but we were so beat up by the time we got to the pre-lims it was a wonder we even made it through the inspection. Reggie, Mike, Joe Lugi and I had blistered lips from over rehearsal and it had to have been worse for the first sopranos. But the high point was that great hotel - was it the Marco Polo right on Miami Beach? Or is my memory slipping?70tourMiamiVFW.jpg

Remember this bus? And: I got my Miami money!

1983. Security was quite lax. Although I had a valid DCI staff pass, I never used it. I walked in once flashing a non-existant hand stamp. The next time I counterfeited a yellow wristband by rolling up a discarded Hardee's flyer. Finally I re-entered, using my library card!

I then hopped the elevator to the press box. Stepping off, I found myself smack dab in the middle of the security staff meeting. I just stood there, nodding approval as the chief instructed the assemblage.

Then I grabbed an empty seat, and occupied it through 5 or 6 corps, until it was commandeered by its rightful owner ------- Don Pesceone.

I was part of that 'security' team that year. Don had us watching the gates for crashers because there were so few actual paying customers. Does anyone else remember that some local thugs thought they'd be cute and tried to pick a fight with the Boston Crusaders? If I remember correctly it was the BC crew that passed out the lumps. There weren't a lot of them that year but they sure were tough!

You're right, Frank. No excuse but we were so beat up by the time we got to the pre-lims it was a wonder we even made it through the inspection. Reggie, Mike, Joe Lugi and I had blistered lips from over rehearsal and it had to have been worse for the first sopranos. But the high point was that great hotel - was it the Marco Polo right on Miami Beach? Or is my memory slipping?70tourMiamiVFW.jpg

Remember this bus? And: I got my Miami money!

Yes it was the Marco Polo, The trip overall was fantastic.

Lousy neighborhood, bad parking ... Ah, the good old days!