Top 10 Things that should be illegal in DCA

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I thought it should be mentioned this was opening weekend for deer hunting in Wisconsin. There were 630,000 blaze orange clothed gun carrying adventurers out and about. It was reported three were actually sober (but not for long).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or?? Maybe they are professional players who have other paying musical obligations that can't make all the marching practices yet were begged to participate anyway so they did what they could.

I don't get it. If you can't make all the practices, why would they then be in drum corps. If you can't make it, don't join. If you don't feel like marching, don't join. Every marching member of a drum corps should be expected to both play and march. The only place that people should play and not march is in I & E.

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Nov 19 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get it. If you can't make all the practices, why would they then be in drum corps. If you can't make it, don't join. If you don't feel like marching, don't join. Every marching member of a drum corps should be expected to both play and march. The only place that people should play and not march is in I & E.

If this was the case, then there would be no DCA. Did you and your corps mates actually make every practice this past season?

You can't expect people who are either professional musicians, lawyers, doctors, plumbers, electricians, office workers, parents etc. to make every practise. They all have lives outside of Drum Corps as well. That is just a ridicules comment from you. If you took a poll on attendence in DCA, almost everybody will have missed at least 2 practices this past season.

I know of 2 soloists who have arthritis which keeps them from marching. Its not that they don't feel like marching but they have health problems. Yet another uneducated misinformed comment from you. If you really don't like soloists in the pit, then lobby DCA to ban them but until then, it is allowed.

And no, I don't march in a corps with pit soloists but I do believe we should allow it just like we allow tymp and bell players to stand still now.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kyle B @ Nov 19 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

And no, I don't march in a corps with pit soloists but I do believe we should allow it

I agree. If requiring all brass players to march a full show keeps people like Joey Pero and Ritchee Price out of drum corps, then it's not a good idea at all.

The audience-entertainment factor those two players bring to the table (this applies to other "pit players" in other corps, too) far outweighs any issues with whether they should march a full show or not, IMO.

If one of DCA's main goals is supposed to be entertainment, than I say, absolutely..... let people like Joey, Ritchee and others keep contributing as playing members of a given corps.

Just my two cents.

Fran

I agree. If requiring all brass players to march a full show keeps people like Joey Pero and Ritchee Price out of drum corps, then it's not a good idea at all.

The audience-entertainment factor those two players bring to the table (this applies to other "pit players" in other corps, too) far outweighs any issues with whether they should march a full show or not, IMO.

If one of DCA's main goals is supposed to be entertainment, than I say, absolutely..... let people like Joey, Ritchee and others keep contributing as playing members of a given corps.

Just my two cents.

Fran

:rolleyes:

And a most distinguished 2 cents indeed, kind sir! :bluedevil:

I can see where DCA is trying to accommodate everybody's opinion about "pit soloists", so until the fans revolt about it, I guess it will continue..I know I just love having Ritchee and others showin' their stuff, even though the physicality of the activity may be too much for them. that doesn't mean they can't still entertain as part of the show.

BTW Fran...great to hear about Barb's progress..all of us in Minny send her our best.

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

Because they were hounded day and night by the director and staff ABOUT joining and were willing to do what they could to help out? Again...not everyone who plays a solo from a pit is there out of ego.

Maybe DCA should also ban anybody who has been paid to play at all? Ban any/all professional players,eh? After all drumcorps IS an amatuer thing and "ringers" wouldn't be fair no? :sshh: (sarcasm switch off)

Edited by PaNors77

Because they were hounded day and night by the director and staff ABOUT joining and were willing to do what they could to help out? Again...not everyone who plays a solo from a pit is there out of ego.

I agree...

Anybody I know who solos in a pit scenerio or while marching leave thier egos at home and come to drum corps because of the love of the activity, friendships and they are entertainers as Fran mentioned.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie

Never did I say you must make every single rehearsal in order to march. You are taking it to extremes in order to prove your point.

People have lives, and sometimes it has to bleed into drum corps, but IMO when you have soloists (I'm not talking about regular marchers) continually have lives bleeding into drum corps that make them unable to put in the same amount of time and energy as everyone else, then maybe they shouldn't be soloists. I've always thought that if you have a spotlight for the show, then you need to put in a lot more committment then others since many fans and other corps will see you representing the corps.

Again, my opinion.