Why college football has parity

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, in the end, that drum corps, and college football............just isn't that great of a comparison. Call me crazy.

bingo.

Why should I be denied auditioning for The Cavaliers for any reason? They do the kind of shows I like, they have an attitude I like, they have a staff I like... it's where I want to march. Why should I not be allowed to?

Because you're a girl.

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know if you're a girl or not, I don't know you lol

If they beat #4 and #5 head-to-head, then they're in the Top 2. Period. Why does LSU get a pass for playing a no-name team last weekend and KU's schedule is in question? All of the big schools play smaller schools for the experience (while feeding money to the other team), and KU can't help who they were scheduled against. If other teams wanted to play in the finals, they shouldn't have lost.

Really, I just want to go to New Orleans on my parent's dime. Can you fault me?

And what could this mean for the next year? I get a great new job, Troopers make finals, I'll be very happy about the election... old Gil's finally going to make a sale! :)

Please, are you seriously calling LSU's schedule into question?

LSU
Mississippi St W 45-0		  6-4
Virginia Tech W 48-7		   8-2
Middle Tenn W 44-0			 5-6
South Carolina W 28-16		 6-5
Tulane W 34-9				  3-7
Florida W 28-24				7-3
Kentucky L 45-37 3OT		   7-3
Auburn W 30-24				 7-4
Alabama W 41-34				6-4
Louisiana Tech W 58-10		 4-6
Ole Miss					   3-7
Arkansas					   6-4
						  68-55

Kansas
Central Mich W 52-7			6-4
SE Louisiana W 62-0			2-8 in I-AA
Toledo W 45-13				 5-6
FIU W 55-3					 0-9
Kansas State W 30-24		   5-5
Baylor W 58-10				 3-8
Colorado W 19-14		   	5-6
Texas A&M W 19-11			  6-5
Nebraska W 76-39			   5-6
Oklahoma St W 43-28			5-5
Iowa State					 3-8
Missouri (in KC)			   9-1
						  54-71

They have only played 3 teams with a losing record compared to Kansas's 6 with 2 more one loss away from losing records. Not to mention the fact that top to bottom the SEC is a much tougher conference than the Big 12. ESPECIALLY the Big 12 North.

Edit: In order for Kansas to convince me personally that they are one of the top 2 teams in the country they will have to win out convincingly and not get completely embarrassed in the BCS Championship game (or win it). Preferably against LSU since I believe that LSU is the best team in the country (No I'm not an LSU fan)

Edited by dbc03

Please, are you seriously calling LSU's schedule into question?

Of course not, but this is the way the system works right now. (Kinda like the nonsense that was seeding for corps that didn't attend all regionals.) Kansas had no control over the conference schedule, and it's not like their spot in the championship is a sure thing. The hardest part of our year is in the next two weeks, but when we beat Missouri (and I'll be there to watch it) we'll be in a BCS bowl for sure.

Shouldn't there just be a national tournament? We never have this "doesn't deserve it" debate over Basketball, just Football and Drum Corps.

In order for Kansas to convince me personally that they are one of the top 2 teams in the country they will have to win out convincingly and not get completely embarrassed in the BCS Championship game (or win it). Preferably against LSU since I believe that LSU is the best team in the country (No I'm not an LSU fan)

And there we agree. Unless LSU loses between now and the championship, then they win. If OklahomaOregon or Kansas beat them, that team wins.

[EDIT: Oops. Oregon lost.]

Edited by Pinwiz

And this goes back to WHY they don't march anywhere else when they get cut. The lower tiered corps aren't marketed as well as the upper ones. Auditionees want to be on the biggest stage. For many, the perception is that Phantom Regiment is on that biggest stage, and Pioneer is not. More exposure of Pioneer by DCI can help alter that perception, and one big way to increase a corps' exposure is put them on TV.

As for the membership limit increase to 150, you have top 12 corps that will all probably be bigger this year than last year, and you have lower tiered WC corps and OC corps that won't, and may get smaller due to fewer people trying out (due to more trying out and making WC corps). It's pretty simple logic. If DCI really cared about the health of these lower-tiered corps they wouldn't have increased membership limit to 150.

You're missing the fact that a good number of auditioners are not there to march "drum corps". They are there to march Devils, Regiment, or Vanguard and no amount of marketing is going to get them to change their minds. If they don't make it this year, then they are content to sit out a season and try again next year.

You're missing the fact that a good number of auditioners are not there to march "drum corps". They are there to march Devils, Regiment, or Vanguard and no amount of marketing is going to get them to change their minds. If they don't make it this year, then they are content to sit out a season and try again next year.

I'm not missing that at all. Ask yourself WHY they want to march Devils, Regiment, or Vanguard and not just "drum corps".

I'm not missing that at all. Ask yourself WHY they want to march Devils, Regiment, or Vanguard and not just "drum corps".

No need to. It's because that's what they want.

When I marched I came out of Georgia where I could have marched Spirit, Suncoast or Wave to go to Iowa and march the Emerald Knights because that's the only corps I saw myself marching in.

No need to. It's because that's what they want.

When I marched I came out of Georgia where I could have marched Spirit, Suncoast or Wave to go to Iowa and march the Emerald Knights because that's the only corps I saw myself marching in.

I agree with you. I think so many don't understand the mindset of some auditionees. Maybe they've never witnessed it from the staff point of view.

I was with Phantom Legion in 1998. Ever since there was a PRC, the Regiment allowed staff to discuss the possibility of marching with PRC/Legion when they were a "C" in Regiment auditions. We could pick off a few, but most of the auditionees told us they would work for the summer, train better and save their money for their dues next year. Most auditionees we talked to were extremely aware even before they came to auditions that they probably weren't going to make it. When I talked to these "cuts" before they went home, many said their desire was to come back next year.

I'd tell them they'd have a better opportunity to make it next year if they marched PRC/Legion. I mean they'd be in the organization already. The audtionees didn't see it that way. If I'm going to spend $1200 to march Regiment, I'd better save my money and work this summer. Paying $700 to march PRC/Legion didn't make sense to them.

And now I look at Open Class corps websites and their tution costs are almost identical to World Class corps. I think it's going to be harder for the Open Class corps to attract "cuts" from World Class corps.