Florida's Newest All Age Drum and Bugle Corps

come on folks... smile... any drum corps is better than no drum corps...

I know just about everyone involved with Sun Devils and to a man they are good people... Since they have some equipment to start with immediately, the prospects of a quick start are much better than normal... although I would be reluctant to use Heat Wave's uniforms - just because you are indeed making a new corps in a new location... horns drums and flag poles don't make an "image"... uniforms do...

The talent pool in Florida is amazing... I'm quite certain that if you polled DCI finalists you would find Florida to be second only to Texas to the state of residence of performers... for success... a solid young nucleus must be found to go with the veterans who add the knowledge to make it happen...

And for the record... before the name was announced I was going to suggest Florida 'Glades - when I heard the name I too thought of Arizona and thought not of legal problems but of fan perception... Oh and I also know and marched with Don Incardona... He's the type of retired to Florida drum corps guy who could be a huge asset to making all this happen... so I suggest everyone recruit instead of jump on... Some of us are too old to be players but you need a lot more help than just players... management, equipment handling, fund raising... I would also look to the wealth of experience in Florda Brass Alumni Corps to assist in making this happen... or at least one of friendly mutual support...

just some thoughts from Seattle... where the sun actually just came out (for 5 minutes)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not agree more Tom.

Hope you are enjoying your retirement!

:)

come on folks... smile... any drum corps is better than no drum corps...

I know just about everyone involved with Sun Devils and to a man they are good people... Since they have some equipment to start with immediately, the prospects of a quick start are much better than normal... although I would be reluctant to use Heat Wave's uniforms - just because you are indeed making a new corps in a new location... horns drums and flag poles don't make an "image"... uniforms do...

Hi Tom! It has been a long time...

The Sun Devils without a shadow of a doubt will NOT be using Heat Wave's uniforms. Black / Red / White. (yellow accent maybe) Thems the colors.

Edited by John M. Johnson

I'm not ticked off for the record, I just want to keep moving forward and stay positive. Dale is right about the name..we're okay.

I'm a big guy and piling on me won't do anything so.....We keep moving forward.

New organizations have a difficult time getting up and running. Drum corps is even harder. I agree with donincardona that having a problem come at you from out of nowhere is to be avoided at all costs. But, I also say that worrying about a problem that has a miniscule chance of happening is a waste of resources. And, worrying about a big state university in Arizona suing a tiny non-profit in Florida over the use of the name "Sun Devils" falls into the second category.

Good luck, Keith, and the rest of the Sun Devils drum corps!

BTW, I really like the name!

New organizations have a difficult time getting up and running. Drum corps is even harder. I agree with donincardona that having a problem come at you from out of nowhere is to be avoided at all costs. But, I also say that worrying about a problem that has a miniscule chance of happening is a waste of resources. And, worrying about a big state university in Arizona suing a tiny non-profit in Florida over the use of the name "Sun Devils" falls into the second category.

Good luck, Keith, and the rest of the Sun Devils drum corps!

BTW, I really like the name!

Thanks Dale. This is not about me as I am just a member of a team of great people. I seem to be the guy who is on DCP (call it drum corps passion). I know I look like the jerk after supporting another organization but I am real excited by this corps.

Black / Red / White. Thems the colors.

I think a nice, warm orange and/or a light, dusty brown would be a much better base color rather than red. Not the neon orange that Wave used, but something a bit more subdued. Red is too common on the competition field, ie Cabs, Brigs, CV, Cru. Red might be good for a bit of accent. White, yellow, orange, tan all evoke images of the sun. I would keep black out completely.

And if you really want to break out from the pack quickly, don't have black or white pants - use the light brown or tan for the pants.

But, then, that's just me.

PS, I did say "and the rest of the Sun Devils drum corps", so I'm not slighting anyone else involved.

I think a nice, warm orange and/or a light, dusty brown would be a much better base color rather than red. Not the neon orange that Wave used, but something a bit more subdued. Red is too common on the competition field, ie Cabs, Brigs, CV, Cru. Red might be good for a bit of accent. White, yellow, orange, tan all evoke images of the sun. I would keep black out completely.

And if you really want to break out from the pack quickly, don't have black or white pants - use the light brown or tan for the pants.

But, then, that's just me.

PS, I did say "and the rest of the Sun Devils drum corps", so I'm not slighting anyone else involved.

Great suggestion on the colors! I guess there a lot of red and black corps out there. Florida Brass is one of them. However, there are no competitive DCA corps in Florida with the same colors, or in the South region for that fact. I think Genesis will be purple and black. I am not sure about that one though. First year, I think we might be pretty much all black. But then again, it is too soon to say. We are in a fortunate position to create history. So we'll have to see.

Thank for being one of our first fans!

GO SUN DEVILS ^0^

clearly I like the devil dude

Great suggestion on the colors! I guess there a lot of red and black corps out there. Florida Brass is one of them. However, there are no competitive DCA corps in Florida with the same colors, or in the South region for that fact. I think Genesis will be purple and black. I am not sure about that one though. First year, I think we might be pretty much all black. But then again, it is too soon to say. We are in a fortunate position to create history. So we'll have to see.

Thank for being one of our first fans!

GO SUN DEVILS ^0^

clearly I like the devil dude

Will this make us MORE evil?

Good luck Keith and hope to see you in Rochester!

Good luck Keith and hope to see you in Rochester!

You will...won't miss this season for the world!