A scarcity with quads

You know, the marching band I teach traveled to Ohio this year, and there was a band there that marched no actual snares, but had snares mounted on their tenors. Can't say that I was a big fan, but it was definitely an interesting concept. Is this something that's going around on the indoor circuit? Oh yeah: this band was huge, so they weren't struggling for numbers.

The Kilties actually did something similar a couple decades back (somewhat inovative at the time). Only the snares had a cluster of tenors, and it wasn't for the lack of players in number or quality-wise. It was quite a large battery as a whole in itself, and done as an experimental concept.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your watching BOA

Were talking about DCI

Therefore, No DCI will not follow BOA's stupid trend of not marching Battery...

I'm pretty sure the quads (tenors) are here to stay until they evolve into something else. I don't see them being totally gotten rid of. I can see where some directors are coming from. Quads aren't exactly the easiest instrument to learn how to play in one band camp. Not to take away from the challenge of playing snare which is way more articulate, and all that crazy timing for bass drums, but quads just take longer to learn IMHO.

I highly doubt that tenors will ever die in DCI.

As a band director, if I am ever forced to make that decision though, I would not march a tenor. If only presented with 3-4 percussionists, the tenor would be the first to go. I would do 1 snare, 2 bass and 1 cymbal. Got to worry about the essentials first.

I remember back around '89 or '90 one of the Westerville (suburb of Columbus), OH drum lines marched something like 7 snares and 7 basses. At one point in the show a few of the snares played on tenors that were mounted on stands. I thought that was kind of odd. And one of the lines I taught back then had a tenor player that quit, so we just marched 3 snares and 4 basses. I made drums out of PVC pipe that we mounted on top of the basses to get that mid voice. Worked out pretty well.

As of OMEA State Finals this year i believe they were marching tenors. :P

of all the OMEA state qualifiers i saw [ i.e. a good number; i was a volunteer worker] only about 3 lacked tenors. i know at least one had a set player, but when you march a weensy band it's usually a good option. One band last year had odd 4-drum tenors with a snare on the largest.

there was a thread about this on the drumhard forums. mike macintosh (bluecoats, carmel hs) chimed in on it. the reason you see some BOA high schools do this is because BOA finals are in a dome, so their shows are tailored for that venue. in a dome, the midvoice is the first one to be washed out. tenors=midvoice. he hasn't marched tenors in their outdoor program for a few years now, because their sound just gets lost in a dome.