What's wrong with shows today?

tpt43

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: I'm old school but I love today's shows for the most part. Instead of asking what's wrong, we should ask how do we grow? Today's shows have extraordinary execution, brilliant marching, performance skill and musicianship. Unfortunately DCI has become a bit too obscure for a non DCI fluent newcomer. It makes it hard to win new fans. WE DESPERATELY NEED NEW FANS AND GROWTH. We need to give the non-dci person something to grab onto. There needs to be a bit more of a "Product". That doesn't imply "sell-out", dumb-down or dimish quality. But it's become too hard for non-musicians or non-march-dance-athletes to enjoy. We need to think of DCI as part of the entertainment and music business. We need casual fans. Sometimes to break an album or new artist, you need to give the people a "hit", a pop single, a sing along, a drum-along. Now I'm not adocating "Drumline" pedantry, but taking a lesson out of drumline wouldn't be bad. We need to find a way to get DCI some accessibility.

Give the newby a little something in each show, a "radio" single to hook the consumer. Then we can infect them with 7/8 half time. Think 90/10. with the 10% being an little bit of a "single"

2: We should probably turn of the mics before they goes too far.

Yes, It was creative but where does it stop, lead and background vocals, play by play?

Edited by MarchTrue

There's nothing wrong with shows today. The complaining about how things ain't the way they used to be is pretty much always a generational thing. It works in reverse, too. A lot of fans today look at shows from the 70s and 80s with distaste, I guarantee it. But you don't see threads and threads devoted to saying how awful shows were back then. I wonder why? Just once, I'd like to see a thread opened up with a title like "What's wrong with shows from the 80s?"

It's very simple. If you don't like what you see, don't go. And be happy that you have a place like DCP to vent. :ph34r:

There's nothing wrong with shows today. The complaining about how things ain't the way they used to be is pretty much always a generational thing. It works in reverse, too. A lot of fans today look at shows from the 70s and 80s with distaste, I guarantee it. But you don't see threads and threads devoted to saying how awful shows were back then. I wonder why? Just once, I'd like to see a thread opened up with a title like "What's wrong with shows from the 80s?"

It's very simple. If you don't like what you see, don't go. And be happy that you have a place like DCP to vent. :ph34r:

It's completely a false statement. There are plenty of people that have a perspective of more than your age, and that doesn't make their opinion somehow less relevant. Yes, there's much ado about complaining because it's not the way it was. All the same, there are many thoughts about the fact that things were better than they are because they actually *were* better.

Try not to confuse the two.

1: I'm old school but I love today's shows for the most part. Instead of asking what's wrong, we should ask how do we grow? Today's shows have extraordinary execution, brilliant marching, performance skill and musicianship. Unfortunately DCI has become a bit too obscure for a non DCI fluent newcomer. It makes it hard to win new fans. WE DESPERATELY NEED NEW FANS AND GROWTH. We need to give the non-dci person something to grab onto. There needs to be a bit more of a "Product". That doesn't imply "sell-out", dumb-down or dimish quality. But it's become too hard for non-musicians or non-march-dance-athletes to enjoy. We need to think of DCI as part of the entertainment and music business. We need casual fans. Sometimes to break an album or new artist, you need to give the people a "hit", a pop single, a sing along, a drum-along. Now I'm not adocating "Drumline" pedantry, but taking a lesson out of drumline wouldn't be bad. We need to find a way to get DCI some accessibility.

Give the newby a little something in each show, a "radio" single to hook the consumer. Then we can infect them with 7/8 half time. Think 90/10. with the 10% being an little bit of a "single"

2: We should probably turn of the mics before they goes too far.

Yes, It was creative but where does it stop, lead and background vocals, play by play?

I'm not discrediting your opinion, but I feel that many of the shows that drum corps people love, are more of the shows that joe 6 couldnt care less about. Gurantee Joe's gonna eat up Crossmen 06 a lot more than even Cadets 2000, or Santa Clara 78.

It's completely a false statement. There are plenty of people that have a perspective of more than your age, and that doesn't make their opinion somehow less relevant. Yes, there's much ado about complaining because it's not the way it was. All the same, there are many thoughts about the fact that things were better than they are because they actually *were* better.

Try not to confuse the two.

not trying to start down this road, but hey, its what we do around here. :P

Please inform young foolish me on the things that IN YOUR OPINION were better about then than now. Please be sure to include corps fights among many things in your response.

not trying to start down this road, but hey, its what we do around here. :P

Please inform young foolish me on the things that IN YOUR OPINION were better about then than now. Please be sure to include corps fights among many things in your response.

The point is that because it's something that was, and not is, does not make it invalid, wrong, or of a "legacy". Discussing something because it came from what was before doesn't make it automatically bad. It's ignorant to judge things based on how old it is. Judge things on their merits.

I'm trying to leave the doors open rather than dictate, thanks.

The point is that because it's something that was, and not is, does not make it invalid, wrong, or of a "legacy". Discussing something because it came from what was before doesn't make it automatically bad. It's ignorant to judge things based on how old it is. Judge things on their merits.

I'm trying to leave the doors open rather than dictate, thanks.

Nobody has said it's invalid or wrong, just that many (often younger such as myself) don't find it to be their "cup of tea". As is often pointed out, nobody comes on here and rips apart the things that were "wrong" about back in the day. So why do threads like this keep coming up?

Nobody has said it's invalid or wrong, just that many (often younger such as myself) don't find it to be their "cup of tea". As is often pointed out, nobody comes on here and rips apart the things that were "wrong" about back in the day. So why do threads like this keep coming up?

Probably because they're selfish enough to make threads like this. Not only that, but they're completely unaware that what they're saying is a kick in the face for all the hard work put into the shows now... that or they just don't care enough to at least censor their overly blatent opinions.

Sorry, that's all there is to it. People who still go to shows and don't enjoy themselves, and then post on DCP about how much better it was back in the day are not doing anyone a favor, but themselves. Save your ticket money and buy your 1976 dvds.

~>conner