What's wrong with shows today?

tpt43

Well, "elite" is just one phonic short of "delete"....

I believe DCI was established and works to primarily support its member organizations.

They periodically lose and add member corps. Actually, the trend seems to be gaining more than losing lately, but not by much. Looks like we will have a +2 and a -1 this year. If Southwind and Cap. Reg. can rebound, they could be +2 next year. That's would be a great thing too.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a lot I like much better about today's show and some stuff I don't like so much, figure its the same for all...

Use to be shows were music than visual, now its the otherway - I still listen to shows more than watch them and some of today’s top shows, are generally unlistenable and would never merit being played off a field just as some shows back in the day are now completely boring to watch - I can't buy this all or nothing thing

emphasis is put more on how creatively design teams can utilize a concept and demonstrate this through the usage of a (primarily traditional) drum corps medium, instead of how impressively the members of drum corps can perform music and drill that are bound together by a common theme. the "effect" is more so from the collective portrayal of the concept than the actual performative elements in themselves.

very true -

The thing that bugs me about that is a corps puts together a showed called ‘Agua’ – cuts and pastes 5 songs tighter that loosely relate to water in their title, use blue flags and form water drops on the field and are rewarded as having a great ‘intellectual’ concept. Takes little more thought, less in fact, to do a concept like that than to string together 5 greats songs in a logical well paced order.

Nothing against Agua shows, but come on, let’s not reward ‘concepts’ as we do and force every other corps to pretend they have a theme

The thing that bugs me about that is a corps puts together a showed called ‘Agua’ – cuts and pastes 5 songs tighter that loosely relate to water in their title, use blue flags and form water drops on the field and are rewarded as having a great ‘intellectual’ concept. Takes little more thought, less in fact, to do a concept like that than to string together 5 greats songs in a logical well paced order.

Nothing against Agua shows, but come on, let’s not reward ‘concepts’ as we do and force every other corps to pretend they have a theme

I do agree with this statement. A lot of corps nowadays seem to do the whole "theme just for theme's sake" thing and usually their theme doesn't go past the flag design and a couple of silly visuals. I'd rather a corps play the music of one artist (for example Cadets 2004) than try and force a theme on a show when it doesn't really make sense (Boston 2004, for example).

I do agree with this statement. A lot of corps nowadays seem to do the whole "theme just for theme's sake" thing and usually their theme doesn't go past the flag design and a couple of silly visuals. I'd rather a corps play the music of one artist (for example Cadets 2004) than try and force a theme on a show when it doesn't really make sense (Boston 2004, for example).

Hmmmm...you picked my LEAST favorite Cadet show possibly EVER. :P

Personally I liked BAC 04.

You must have missed they're playing Ticheli. :P :P :P :P :P

+10 points

~>conner

What's wrong ?

Too few corps

Too few shows

Not enough goosebumps