A rich kid's sport

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys act like it's a waste of money or something. Either that, or impossible to obtain. If you are devoted and willing to work things out, you can definitely make it happen. If you keep saying "ITS TOO EXPENSIVE OMG OGM OMG OMG ", you will NEVER get anything done.

The orininal context of the question, was is DC outpricing itself for most people.

Yes, I agree with this statement. And not only participants, but fans alike.

Yes but the size change to 150 is going to help offset that. One of the reasons they moved it up to 150 is that there were empty seats on the bus. 15 extra people paying $2000-2500 = an extra 30,000 in income to help offest all this...

I think DCI has been there for a few years now.

I'd agree that marching in a World Class corps is an expensive proposition. It has been for a lot of years -- maybe 20+. But tjose who can afford it get quite a bit for that money.

I also agree with others that there are solutions that enable most of those who want to march to do so. That might range from obtaining sponsorships, to working off part of your dues to marching a more financially reasonable Open Class corps.

I know a lot of guys that paid for years of corps without ever dipping into their own pockets. You can pay for all your expenses in sponsorships, from strangers, if you work at it. If anything, costs will prevent members from flying cross-country and make things more local again, and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

My fees this year will come to around $5,000. That's counting tuition and fees for the corps, airfare, and other general expenses. You can't really blame DCI or the corps, though. It's not as though they're raising the price to make a profit; I don't think anyone's getting rich off of drum corps.

If I want to march every year until I age out, I'm going to need some good scholarships. I'm applying for one that, if I get it, will give me a full ride through college: tuition, books, room and board, meal plan, etc.

I really wish it was cheaper. There would be a lot less stress on me and my family. But I'm also a realist, and I know that there's little that can be done to make the process cheaper.

and I know parents who drop $2500 to $3000 on a single week basketball camp or volleyball camp or cheerleading camp.

Competitive drum corps have traveled since at least 1968...my first show. There was a corps from Iowa and Minnesota at the Rockford show. Those are still the same distance they always were. I remember seeing the Santa Clara Vanguard in Rockford for the first time...I don't remember the year...but I was thinking about coming all the way from California to Rockford.

Fuel costs are an issue and always have been. I don't know how to change that. Heck, I don't know how to fix half of what's wrong with the world...doesn't stop me from trying.

I also agree with others that there are solutions that enable most of those who want to march to do so. That might range from obtaining sponsorships, to working off part of your dues to marching a more financially reasonable Open Class corps.

Or marching in a corps that's closer to home so you don't have to budget for airfare too.

HH

My fees this year will come to around $5,000. ...

I really wish it was cheaper. There would be a lot less stress on me and my family. But I'm also a realist, and I know that there's little that can be done to make the process cheaper.

Sorry to put you on the spot, but allow me to ask: Is there a corps to which you could drive and save the commuting expense? Why not do that? (If you care to explain, no need to name names if you're more comfortable.)

HH