A rich kid's sport

Sorry to put you on the spot, but allow me to ask: Is there a corps to which you could drive and save the commuting expense? Why not do that? (If you care to explain, no need to name names if you're more comfortable.)

HH

I'll be dropping that much and this is with the closest corps.

(This is all if I make it into said corps, but yeah, I still have the money troubles many do, and I don't fly.)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of those people that couldn't afford to pay my tour fees on my own. I actually used some of my school grant to pay for tour. Actually, I used the rest of my school grant to pay for tour. :blink:

Edited by sopchick_01

Well, as DA for a moment, why are you counting flight costs? That's a choice, is it not?

And where exactly are you saying it's the corps that are the out-pricing entities? Last I checked, fuel costs have doubled in the last few years, yes? Have tour prices kept up? Probably about the same.

So at what point is it the corps? Ya ya, touring points will come up again, but seeing as things are roughly equal as 5 years ago, shouldn't you be pointing your ire at, oh, Light Sweet NY Crude?

Sorry to put you on the spot, but allow me to ask: Is there a corps to which you could drive and save the commuting expense? Why not do that? (If you care to explain, no need to name names if you're more comfortable.)

HH

There is a top 12 corps that's within driving distance near me. I auditioned there last year, but I didn't really like the atmosphere or the instruction methods. So instead I went back to a corps I had marched previously. I still had to fly to the camps, but they were much smaller and it was easier to negotiate a situation where I didn't have to attend every single camp, so I was able to save money on airfare.

The corps I will be auditioning for(and I have every intention of making it) is the corps that I would like to march the most, and I have always wanted to march there, so I'll find some way to work it out.

You guys act like it's a waste of money or something. Either that, or impossible to obtain. If you are devoted and willing to work things out, you can definitely make it happen. If you keep saying "ITS TOO EXPENSIVE OMG OGM OMG OMG ", you will NEVER get anything done.

i don't think anyone has said it is a waste of money. there are many people who are willing and devoted who regardless of how hard you work cannot put the money towards something like this anymore.

your comment is very naive and frankly very offensive to those who have made difficult choices regarding marching in their lives.

I am just saying, if you want to find a way, you will make it happen. If you just sit back and say "Man this is a lot of money" and do nothing.... then nothing will be accomplished.

i don't think you get it. those who have chosen not to do it didn't just sit back and say, "golly jee that's a lot i think i'll just sit on my thumbs"

for many it's just not an option.

it was mentioned on the first page of this topic that it's not only the money that it costs but the money lost by not working the summer. something i think you're missing here.

heh this is why Im happy I aged out already and DCA ( All Age Corps ) dues are only about $200 - $400 plus hotel and occasional bus ( flight too if from the west coast or midwest )

One of the first things I was asked in my audition was, "what's your money situation?" That's not a bad thing to ask, obviously, but it's sad that it has to be asked.

It truely is a very sad thing for those inviduals that could and should be in Drum Corps. I know that If I had to pay the Tour Fees what they pay now back in '91 and 93..I wouldve' never been able to have done it.