A rich kid's sport

Local corps and circuits were not part of DCI's "watch" as you put it. DCI was not responsible for the many Garden State Circuit corps that folded through the 60's and 70's, and into to the 80's.

That's true. But DCI always seemed to turn a blind eye in these cases. Did DCI ever look into why a corps folded (aka root cause) and put together some kind lessoned learned information out there? To this day I still think DCI needs a Six Sigma blackbelt (okay maybe a green belt will do) to help in it's organization. Do any corps have these kind of people in their orgs?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To this day I still think DCI needs a Six Sigma blackbelt (okay maybe a green belt will do) to help in it's organization.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :sos: :worthy: :spit: ampssuck :blink:

:P

Maybe they'll say the tours that are thousands of miles are too much. Maybe local circuits will start up and local competitions will make more sense. Maybe this would make it affordable for more kids to participate.

Nah, that's silly, I know. That would make it too much like drum and bugle corps :blink:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...105984&st=0

I'm sorry Jim. I feel bad now that I mentioned it. Didn't mean to give you flashbacks. ^0^

Flashbacks??? Only about two years since we were "indoctrinated" into being "Lean" .... :worthy:

LMAO, I work for Uncle Sam which means if we're using the latest trend it's DOA every where else. Man, I lost track of how many "new way to do business" I've been hit with over the years. About 15 years ago I got written up for not going to Total Quality Management training when it was offered. Fact that I was out of town for work every training session didn't make any difference. (real Quality Management that year :blink: )

That's true. But DCI always seemed to turn a blind eye in these cases. Did DCI ever look into why a corps folded (aka root cause) and put together some kind lessoned learned information out there? To this day I still think DCI needs a Six Sigma blackbelt (okay maybe a green belt will do) to help in it's organization. Do any corps have these kind of people in their orgs?

No offense intended to those currently in charge, but I think Six Sigma and Lean would expose too many issues with drum corps. Yes, they could use the help, but there would be some major structural issues that would need to be addressed before they could even think about trying some true world-class Six Sigma and Lean practices. I work as the Director of Quality for a fairly large aerospace manufacturer and we have been incorporating Six Sigma and Lean practices for quite some time. I will probably be retired before we get even close to what I would call world class. Drum Corps could definitely benefit from many of these practices, but I do not believe they have the patience or the flexibility to actually follow through with them.

If you aren't willing to work for / spend / fund $4000 for corps, then you will not march because it isn't in your interests to do so.

Ok...using your logic....:

"If you arent willing to work for / spend/ fund $10,000,000,000 for a trip to the moon, then you will not go because it isnt in your interests to do so."

Lots of people would like to go to the moon...

Probably not. You tell me. Here's what it would take:

1. Cut back touring by returning to regional grouping in the early-season.

2. Competitive parity must become DCI's top agenda item, so that regional contests can maintain fan interest.

3. Growth must become DCI's top er, other top agenda item, as we need more corps to fill regional show lineups.

So, what do you think? Were you scoffing before you even got to #2? Would today's member corps directors scoff just as quickly? Well, if so, then there's no going back.

A decade ago, regional competition was stagnating as corps remained in the same placement order week after week (or year after year, for that matter). Instead of stirring the pot with parity, the activity's leaders chose to stir the competitive pot in early-season by traveling more. Regional circuits were phased out in favor of a full-season DCI schedule that moved some member corps in and out of regions throughout the season. Wonder if anyone devising this strategy thought about the volatility of fuel pricing?

scoffing...me? you give me too much credit.

I'll play.

You tell me how you arrive at parity under your idea and I can manage the rest of the plan.

How about this...corps must only have members for one and only one year. a marching member can only participate in drum corps for a maximum of 2 years.

there, that would quickly establish parity...but I don't think that's a direction you were thinking about.

Six Sigma is so early 2000. Yeah, maybe DCI could go for ISO9002 certification at the same time!

Come on now...it's an affiliation of corps directors with a hired staff to manage day-to-day operations.

Flashbacks??? Only about two years since we were "indoctrinated" into being "Lean" .... :worthy:

LMAO, I work for Uncle Sam which means if we're using the latest trend it's DOA every where else. Man, I lost track of how many "new way to do business" I've been hit with over the years. About 15 years ago I got written up for not going to Total Quality Management training when it was offered. Fact that I was out of town for work every training session didn't make any difference. (real Quality Management that year :blink: )

What...no ISO certification???

Man, if I could have a dollar for all the process improvement acronyms I've swallowed.