Indianapolis

Wow! I am amazed at such hated some have for the city of Indianapolis.

I will attend DCI finals - venue looks really nice. But Indy is - in a word - more than a little BORING.

And just based on the Colts games I've attended the fanbase is a little tame / low-energy too.

I mean - women sitting in the stands during an NFL game knitting??!! No where else on earth have I every seen that happen!

But the city is ok / inexpensive and small enough to make everything close.

No worries! (but no excitement either)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am a drum corps nut, but my point was if I'm going to an event (doesn't matter what event), then I don't care where it is because I'm there to see the event not the town. If I'm taking a golf vacation I don't care what else is in the location I'm going other than golf because that is the purpose of the trip, just like Drum corps. I'm there to see corps, not visit museums or whatever, I can do that at home. but i can't go to DCI finals at home (except in 2000 when finals was at my home).

They could hold finals on the moon, and if I felt like attending finals I would go to the moon because that is where the show is.

If they held the Super Bowl in indianapolis for 10 years and I wanted to go to the super bowl every year I wouldn't care that it was in the same place every year because it is the game I'm going to see not the town.

I guess the point I'm making (and you're missing) is that you and people who feel the way you do about a "drum corps getaway" weekend will go to DCI

no matter where it is. You are the base and bloodline of drum corps survival no doubt. If drum corps wants more people buying tickets I just feel that 10 years

in one place is a bad marketing decision for those fans who enjoy drum corps but its not their top priority.

But Indy is - in a word - more than a little BORING.

Do I get charged for the bonus words? In a word, Indy works for me. :blink:

I guess the point I'm making (and you're missing) is that you and people who feel the way you do about a "drum corps getaway" weekend will go to DCI

no matter where it is. You are the base and bloodline of drum corps survival no doubt. If drum corps wants more people buying tickets I just feel that 10 years

in one place is a bad marketing decision for those fans who enjoy drum corps but its not their top priority.

Is it a bad marketing decision if it means that a city gets behind what we do in a big way. The city is the one who ASKED DCI to move their HQ there not the other way around. DCI gets an awesome deal on a state of the art stadium. There are plenty of great hotels and restaurants/ Corps housing is well available. The city is centrally located drawing from Cincinnati, Chicago, Canton, Toledo, Lexington, Lousiville, Detroit, Columbus, Dayton, etc.

It's going to be a great place to watch drum corps and spemd time with family and friends. There will be a buzz in and around the downtown area. You didn't have that in Denver, certainly not in Pasadena, not in Foxboro, not in Jackson, not even in Madison with hotels being so spread out. Indy is going to be a party and one that will get better every year.

See you there.

Is it a bad marketing decision if it means that a city gets behind what we do in a big way. The city is the one who ASKED DCI to move their HQ there not the other way around. DCI gets an awesome deal on a state of the art stadium. There are plenty of great hotels and restaurants/ Corps housing is well available. The city is centrally located drawing from Cincinnati, Chicago, Canton, Toledo, Lexington, Lousiville, Detroit, Columbus, Dayton, etc.

It's going to be a great place to watch drum corps and spemd time with family and friends. There will be a buzz in and around the downtown area. You didn't have that in Denver, certainly not in Pasadena, not in Foxboro, not in Jackson, not even in Madison with hotels being so spread out. Indy is going to be a party and one that will get better every year.

See you there.

I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Some events move around and become vacation/sight seeing extravaganzas -- Super Bowl, World Cup, Olympics, All-Star games, US Open (golf), Presidenal Conventions, etc.

Others have a set venue and traditional local events thrive around them -- Kentucky Derby, Masters, Indy 500, Oscars, Wimbledon, etc.

So we're moving from Column A to Column B ....

Yes, I'll miss the traveling around to new cities and sight seeing, etc. I'll miss being a part of different regional crowds. But I won't miss having to guess at which hotels are best for me each year. I won't miss having my budget for this trip swing drastically year over year. I won't miss spending the first day getting used to sight lines and the particular stadium anomolies we have to live with each year (elevator alarm, buzzing lights, narrow and/orbench seating, etc).

I get the resistance. I understand that Indy is not Orlando or LA as far as vacations go. But, for me anyway, this is ultimately a drum corps trip and I will take a state of the art stadium and guaranteed weather protection over Disney World and god awful weather and stadium issues any day. Plus, Indy is not as bad as the rap it is getting here. Show me what there was to do in Madison and then we'll talk about Indy .... :)

Personally, I'm looking forward to finding my favorite hotel, my favorite restaurant, my favorite after-show hangout. I'm looking forward to getting to know the stadium and what seats I like for watching drill one day and listening to the horns up close the next. I anticipate that the weeks events will become more varied and visible - parties, gatherings, alumni reunions, because planning for them will get easier year over year as continuity sets in.

Again, I understand what we're giving up and I'll miss it, too. But I do believe that this will be a net positive not only for the activity but also for the fans/travelers and I hope that most other folks give it a chance to maybe realize that as well. :)

PLEASE STOP HATING ON INDIANAPOLIS... GREAT CITY... GREAT PEOPLE... I'M SORRY DCI IS NOT COMING TO YOUR TOWN...

Yes I am a drum corps nut, but my point was if I'm going to an event (doesn't matter what event), then I don't care where it is because I'm there to see the event not the town. If I'm taking a golf vacation I don't care what else is in the location I'm going other than golf because that is the purpose of the trip, just like Drum corps. I'm there to see corps, not visit museums or whatever, I can do that at home. but i can't go to DCI finals at home (except in 2000 when finals was at my home).

They could hold finals on the moon, and if I felt like attending finals I would go to the moon because that is where the show is.

If they held the Super Bowl in indianapolis for 10 years and I wanted to go to the super bowl every year I wouldn't care that it was in the same place every year because it is the game I'm going to see not the town.

Please remember that there are families that go to DCI finals. My wife and I have three children who are not of marching age yet. Other attractions are important to us as sitting around in a motel room all day with children under the age of 12 is just not an option.

Just another point of view.

Please remember that there are families that go to DCI finals. My wife and I have three children who are not of marching age yet. Other attractions are important to us as sitting around in a motel room all day with children under the age of 12 is just not an option.

Just another point of view.

Then you are in for the perfect location. The Children's Museum in Indy is the best of it's kind. And trust me when I tell you that you can spend an entire day there with the kids and they will be ready to go back for more. I'll give you that and the Indianapolis Zoo for free. For other great Indy attraction ideas, I'm going to start charging a fee, :P

Edited by mingusmonk