Phantom Regiment 2008 Spartacus

The music from the Ballet Spartacus is the best music written for this text.

There is nothing better.

PR could expand the 8 minute "Grand Adagio" and pull off the best music of the summer. Yet there is still 2 more hours from this most outstanding ballet, to draw from.

I advise any nay sayers to google (video) the Ballet this moment and start your tour of the ballet masterpiece.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if Sparta = Spartacus. The Phantom 06 show was called Faust, and not a single piece regarding Faust was played. Ave Maria =/= Faust, but it worked. So, why on earth does it matter if they come out in 08 playing music that isn't specifically about Spartacus, and what need is there to try to prove people "wrong" (whatever that means in a thread like this) about their suggestions for music?

Anyway, Phantom doesn't usually do film music, so I'd be surprised if they did the soundtrack from the movie. Jan van der Roost wrote a pretty nifty piece called Spartacus that would work great for Phantom, IMO. And I could think of any number of great classical pieces that could work for portraying different aspects of Spartacus's story. I'm really looking forward to this show.

See! That's exactly what I said! ... in regards to the Faust show. ie- read my earlier post. I mean, Mahler 2 is not Liszt at all or anything close to it. But seriously, Mahler 2 selections were brilliant additions to the "Faust" show. Too many people get caught up in names and labels rather than the music itself. I think the show is going to be spectacular and I cannot wait.

The music from the Ballet Spartacus is the best music written for this text.

There is nothing better.

PR could expand the 8 minute "Grand Adagio" and pull off the best music of the summer. Yet there is still 2 more hours from this most outstanding ballet, to draw from.

I advise any nay sayers to google (video) the Ballet this moment and start your tour of the ballet masterpiece.

I'll give you that and agree

folks that are opposed to it should at least give the full thing a listen

The "Ballet" is gorgeous, and most fitting for a show "titled" & possibly themed "about" 'SPARTACUS". Now, if I know JD Shaw (and I don't -- just have been following his tastes in music) and things mentioned in the "Mellocast" interview, he's more apt to do a mix - as in a la 2006. "Faust" theme, NO music from Faust.

I listened to that clip from Van De Roost, and I have to say, I think if JD Shaw heard it, there is TONS he could AND WOULD do with it! All I can say is..............

For those that have not listened to this clip that was posted in the aforementioned post, listen to it and at about 14:14 (ending FFF tempo) picture the Regiment corps proper amassing on the back sideline, stretching endzone to enzone, color guard and perc out in front and as they do a 360 and immediately start doing that 272 bpm "running company front" like the did in the "YouTube" video called 'Finals Day' - where they did this and played the ending of Firebird! Ohhhh man, they'd never get past midfield before people were throwing babies, refrigerators and....... money at them whilst they screamed and yelled to the FFFF ending that finished blaring right in their faces! :worthy::blink:

(OK, if/when/where this drill/design move is ever done to THIS piece of music, or any other therein related to Drum Corps, I lay claim to it's derivation and insight)

THE END

--T

For those that have not listened to this clip that was posted in the aforementioned post, listen to it and at about 14:14 (ending FFF tempo) picture the Regiment corps proper amassing on the back sideline, stretching endzone to enzone, color guard and perc out in front and as they do a 360 and immediately start doing that 272 bpm "running company front" like the did in the "YouTube" video called 'Finals Day' - where they did this and played the ending of Firebird! Ohhhh man, they'd never get past midfield before people were throwing babies, refrigerators and....... money at them whilst they screamed and yelled to the FFFF ending that finished blaring right in their faces! :worthy::blink:

--T

I did that all summer... and NEVER want to do it again

I did that all summer... and NEVER want to do it again

Man, jazz running practice one day in 94 was bad enough. Ugh. Can't imagine some of the stuff you guys have to do the last couple years getting ready for tour...mmm. Mmm...mmm...mmm. I swim a mile a day and take a 2-hour nap afterwards. All the moving Regiment did the last two years makes me want to take another hour for you guys. Wow!

The "Ballet" is gorgeous, and most fitting for a show "titled" & possibly themed "about" 'SPARTACUS". Now, if I know JD Shaw (and I don't -- just have been following his tastes in music) and things mentioned in the "Mellocast" interview, he's more apt to do a mix - as in a la 2006. "Faust" theme, NO music from Faust.

I listened to that clip from Van De Roost, and I have to say, I think if JD Shaw heard it, there is TONS he could AND WOULD do with it! All I can say is..............

(OK, if/when/where this drill/design move is ever done to THIS piece of music, or any other therein related to Drum Corps, I lay claim to it's derivation and insight)

THE END

--T

LOVE the idea. And I agree, sooo many possibilities with it for Phantom...especially the bass line. Holy cow.

Who cares if Sparta = Spartacus. The Phantom 06 show was called Faust, and not a single piece regarding Faust was played. Ave Maria =/= Faust, but it worked. So, why on earth does it matter if they come out in 08 playing music that isn't specifically about Spartacus, and what need is there to try to prove people "wrong" (whatever that means in a thread like this) about their suggestions for music?

Take a look at the post I quoted again:

Possibly some music from 300?

Not really their... timeperiod I suppose, but it would fit the theme...

They were suggesting that Phantom should play music from the movie 300 because "it would fit the theme." My point was simply that music from the movie 300 doesn't fit the theme any more than say, music from the movie Gladiator, because Sparta and Spartacus are not really related. Gladiator would actually make more sense, since both Spartacus and Gladiator are set in ancient Rome.

Also - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this... I only saw 300 once - wasn't most of the music from 300 hard rock/metal type stuff? I don't really see Phantom playing that type of music.