The GREAT Northeast!

Some of the corps we used to compete against when I was in Brookhaven Crusaders were:

Sahler Sedan Cadets

Yearsley Blackhawks

Media Fawns

Sunrisers from Rising Sun post in Phila.,PA

Thunderbirds, NJ

Magnolia Lancers, NJ

Lamplighters,NJ

Hamburg Buccaneers

Young Americans, VA

VIPS,DC

York White Roses

Bracken Cavaliers

Hamilton White Knights

Blue Rock

Vasella Musketeers

Earls of Bucks

Sea Horse Lancers

Royaleer Mounties

Bon Bons

Black Watch

Belles of Saint Mary

507 Hornets

PAL Phila., pa

Cambria Cadets

Catholic Daughters of America

This is just off the top of my head. Wow, there were a lot of corps back then. I know I'm missing many more.

Edited by Martybucs

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Eastern Mass Circuit from the 70's including:

Pembroke Imperials

Arlington Heightsman

Defenders of Rockland

Amvet Brigadiers and Amvet Lancers

Malden Ambassadors

Burlington Citations

Winchester Queensman

Braintree Braves

White Eages from Haverhill

North Star

Guardsmen

Chuting Stars

Jeanettes of Lynn

Socialites of Saugus

Charisma of Salem

Arbella of Salem

Princemen of Melrose

Fitchburg Kingsmen

Somerville Cavaliers

Joanetts of Leominster

Sancians of Weymouth

It is unfortunate that "back in the day" there used to be a drum corps in every other city throughout the State...today is a sad state of affairs...

You forgot the 21st Lancers of Norwood

This is for my friend John Dunne...

Mark Twain Cadets

Empire State Express

Both from Elmira, NY

Garry in Vegas

More NYC corps:

OLPH Ridgemen

The Manhattaires

The Wynn City Toppers

Carter Cadets

Staten Island Lawmen

The Bronx Kingsmen

Thank whomever mentioned St. Joseph Patron Cadets

(the Greater NYC Circuit Champions 2 years in a row - '65 / '66) sorry about that.

Queens NY had about a half a dozen "B" class corps - among them:

the Scarlet Lancers & The Queenaires

How could anyone forget the great Saint Rocco's?

Or St. Lucy's Cadets (from New Jersey?)

Did anyone mention St. Kevin's Emerald Knights?

Weren't there also Legionaires from Long Island and the Shoreliners from Connecticut?

And yes, there are probably more from then but as mentioned by others - sadly not any more.

Puppet

What about the Eastern Mass Circuit from the 70's including:

Pembroke Imperials

Arlington Heightsman

Defenders of Rockland

Amvet Brigadiers and Amvet Lancers

Malden Ambassadors

Burlington Citations

Winchester Queensman

Braintree Braves

White Eages from Haverhill

North Star

Guardsmen

Chuting Stars

Jeanettes of Lynn

Socialites of Saugus

Charisma of Salem

Arbella of Salem

Princemen of Melrose

Fitchburg Kingsmen

Somerville Cavaliers

Joanetts of Leominster

Sancians of Weymouth

It is unfortunate that "back in the day" there used to be a drum corps in every other city throughout the State...today is a sad state of affairs...

I was just thinking today that it's been 30 years since the North Shore dominated the Eastern Mass Circuit.

Class C Champs - Beverly Crusaders

Class B Champs - Arbella

Class A Champs - North Star

I marched with Beverly Crusaders from 74 to 80 before marching with North Star in 81 and 82. Looking back, it's hard to believe that on the North Shore alone there were three championship drum corps in the Eastern Mass Circuit. I have such incredible memories of that year.

Or St. Lucy's Cadets (from New Jersey?)

Yes, from Newark. Loved them in the md/late 60's. Their 1966 show was VERY good...swing/jazz tunes. A lot of innovation in percussion...the marching cymbal rack and "garbage can" double bass comes to mind.

Manny Salort's opening sop solo in 1969 to El Conquistador was a GREAT start to their final year's show.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Emerald Cadets or the Surfers - two very good Connecticut corps.

Wasn't it Beverly Cardinals?

I was just thinking today that it's been 30 years since the North Shore dominated the Eastern Mass Circuit.

Class C Champs - Beverly Crusaders

Class B Champs - Arbella

Class A Champs - North Star

I marched with Beverly Crusaders from 74 to 80 before marching with North Star in 81 and 82. Looking back, it's hard to believe that on the North Shore alone there were three championship drum corps in the Eastern Mass Circuit. I have such incredible memories of that year.

Wasn't it Beverly Cardinals?

There were two corps from Beverly, MA, the Cardinals and the Crusaders. Both started as part of St. Mary's parish before the parish dropped both corps. The Cardinals were the Class A corps and the Crusaders were the Class C "feeder" corps.

The Crusaders were actually all male until the early 70s. The Crusaders were Class C Eastern Mass champs in 1972, 1973 and 1978. In 1979 the Crusaders moved into Class "B" and did quite well. The corps marched it's final year in 1980 after putting out a very small but mighty corps (just 12 horns) that actually went on tour to both Butler, PA and Marion, OH. As with many corps in Massachusetts, membership numbers and finances were low and the corps could not be sustained.

The Cardinals, as you probably know, ultimately merged with several other corps, including the Blue Angels, Reveries and Wilmington Crusaders to become North Star.

Here's a link which lists all Eastern Mass Circuit champs in all classes from 1951-1998. It is quite a trip down memory lane. Enjoy!

http://emass.org/4.html

Here's a link which lists all Eastern Mass Circuit champs in all classes from 1951-1998. It is quite a trip down memory lane. Enjoy!

http://emass.org/4.html

Wow, hard to believe EMass lasted until 1998!

Memories of the Beverly Cardinals... Fanfare for the New by Stan Kenton. They blew the faces off the audience with that at US Open or Butler one year. I was seated down low (I want to say 1974, but not sure). They came off the line and the audience went NUTS!!! I think they finished low in the finals, but what an emotional performance! Was that Rick Connor's arrangement? Always had great respect for Rick and the Cardinals and North Star. Those were two corps that maxed out their potential - took what talent they had to the top! :tongue::tongue::thumbup: