George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

My opinion is this:

George thinks the destination is most important...

Scott thinks the journey is most important.

...and MikeD- If DCI ever allows woodwinds, who pays for the hearing aids for the fans in the stands? Each fan will need two, just to hear the "flute impact." b**bs

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, how would we ever get along with that loss? :P

I'm just kidding, Hrothgar. But I think my point still stands. Obviously, you had SOME interest in the activity--enough to march in high school, am I right? Aren't you from the Cobb County area, too? Some darn good programs around there...

"The activity" is not just "drum corps." "The activity" is "marching." If you have not been on a drum corps tour, then you really cannot comment on the value of the experience--in fact, I'm a bit offended that you would even compare it to being in a bassoon quartet, knowing what it is to be a part of a drum corps tour and how different an experience it is from being a part of any other ensemble...but I guess I can't hold what you don't know against you.

You could still learn to play a brass instrument if you really wanted to, woodwinds or no woodwinds.

I really like that analogy dbc made. Drum corps has as much to do with an 11-minute show as astronomy has to do with telescopes.

Yeah, I have no interest I doing any sort of summer marching band. I want to march drum corps because I just love the shows that I have seen and heard at shows and on recordings. The unique instrumentation is what does it for me. I don't associate drum corps with marching band at all. I have a very strict interpretation of what drum corps should be and I have no interest in anything that falls outside of that interpretation.

Yeah, I have no interest I doing any sort of summer marching band. I want to march drum corps because I just love the shows that I have seen and heard at shows and on recordings. The unique instrumentation is what does it for me. I don't associate drum corps with marching band at all. I have a very strict interpretation of what drum corps should be and I have no interest in anything that falls outside of that interpretation.

Good luck, I hope you find more than you are looking for.

The only problem I see with this, Hrothgar, is that you are in the minority on this one, and it's a modus operati that I see causing you much heartache in the future. Hopefully you will see that once you get out of the stands and onto the field, and can start to understand that drum corps isn't about the instruments, but is about the experience, the energy, and the people.

I think to not associate drum corps with marching band is the logical equivalent of covering your ears up and saying, "la la la, I'm not listening," because lord knows everyone else sees the same thing when they look at it...don't we have a tendency to go berserk just because we're always being called "marching bands"?

And unfortunately Hrothgar, your interpretation is only that. YOUR interpretation.

No woodwinds. Or, if you do, no woodwind features allowed and no amplification of them allowed. I am not interested in a drum corps show where some woodwind player hypes about their big solo. The "marching arts" do not get any more ridiculous than that. They are great instruments for their place, but I don't feel they belong on a field. The brass, drums, and the volume they generate is what attracted me to drum corps. As the emphasis on them is reduced, the activity becomes less interesting. Drum corps can keep chasing that elusive mainstream acceptance some seem to crave, or they can settle into the niche they occupy and do it really well. I'd choose the latter.

Essentially, to me, Hopkins has taken an "ends justify the means" attitude where as long as they deliver the goods on audience numbers/etc, it validates whatever compromises have to be made along the way. Scott Stewart thinks how you get there is at least as important as getting there at all (and probably more important, ultimately). I agree with that philosophy in life as well.

Edited by Tekneek

Kids have grown up a lot since 1964 I guess :P

Seriously, getting into a fight over someone calling drum corps marching band? Ridiculous

Ahhh, yes. Kids are much more civilized today. The level of violence with youngsters is much more extreme now. I don't remember a single school shooting while I was growing up. School yard brawl, sure, I was involved in my share, too, but now kids die over someone being teased a little or over what shoes they're wearing. Yeah, kids are much more civilized today.

In anycase, I was making a humorous comparison and using hyperbole.

Yes times change - not always for the better.

Ahhh, yes. Kids are much more civilized today. The level of violence with youngsters is much more extreme now. I don't remember a single school shooting while I was growing up. School yard brawl, sure, I was involved in my share, too, but now kids die over someone being teased a little or over what shoes they're wearing. Yeah, kids are much more civilized today.

In anycase, I was making a humorous comparison and using hyperbole.

Yes times change - not always for the better.

You are using a very small number of isolated incidents to say that the level of violence is much more extreme.

Very few kids will ever be involved in a school shooting or anything similar. They are the exception, not the rule.

Edit: Also, if you think school shootings are something new then you are being extremely naive.

Edited by dbc03

How can you say that his vision failed? His vision simply wasn't followed, Hopkins' was followed, for all intensive purposes. At this point there isn't any way to tell if Stewart's vision failed.

Would you like it better if I said his vision didn't succeed?

HH

We need more than fans, we need patrons--people who will go to several shows a year, spend some time volunteering on tour, buy souvies by the truckload, and those kinds of people are the ones who know a performer or several performers on the field.

I agree with you in general. The problem has been, the pool of opportunity has been shrinking. With each inactive corps, the opportunity to link a new patron to the activity has diminished. That's why the expansion to 150 is a boon. Without having to add a single corps or burden existing corps with substantial costs, drum corps can expand the "pool" for potential patrons by more than 10%. It's the equivalent of adding one more corps for each nine that expand to the new limit.

HH