George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

If there was a high school band that used G-bugles and no woodwinds and no amps and limited its size would they be a drum corps?

Funny. Thanks for missing my point. I know you did it on purpose. To answer your question, sure they would be. Proving (?) the point that, there's not much to distinguish drum corps from marching band, is there?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot more to consider than what kind of sounds you can make...and, a lot of the time, the proposals that come across the table from the Board of Directors lack that kind of thought.

Heresy !!!!!!!

It's like that scene in Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, where the aliens recongize a human, and point and let out that loud squeal.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny. Thanks for missing my point. I know you did it on purpose. To answer your question, sure they would be. Proving (?) the point that, there's not much to distinguish drum corps from marching band, is there?

No, I got your point, I just think it's not a very good point.

If different instrumentation is the only thing someone gets out of drum corps that they don't get out of marching band then I feel sorry for them

No, I got your point, I just think it's not a very good point.

If different instrumentation is the only thing someone gets out of drum corps that they don't get out of marching band then I feel sorry for them

I didn't know this was a test. Thanks for grading the quality of the point I am making. Let me try again - if there's no distinction (to most people) between drum corps and marching band, drum corps, being a more expensive product, loses in the long run. Now, to a very very few, drum corps is distinct simply because of the excellence of the product. That would appear to be the only remaining distinction, in a post-woodwind drum corps activity. Is that sole distinction enough to attract enough kids to keep it going?

I didn't know this was a test. Thanks for grading the quality of the point I am making. Let me try again - if there's no distinction (to most people) between drum corps and marching band, drum corps, being a more expensive product, loses in the long run. Now, to a very very few, drum corps is distinct simply because of the excellence of the product. That would appear to be the only remaining distinction, in a post-woodwind drum corps activity. Is that sole distinction enough to attract enough kids to keep it going?

I'd say that compared to the tour, the instruction, the experience of being in a drum corps, and every individual's dedication to excellence distinguish drum corps from marching band more than instrumentation ever could...speaking as a former member of both a BOA GN Finalist band and a DCI World Class Finalist corps.

EDIT: This train of thought is also still missing the belief that kids who are in marching bands are ultimately part of our camp, too...after all, aren't they the ones more than any who buy tickets for shows, look up to current marching members, and could eventually audition for a corps? It's not drum corps v. marching band...it's the marching arts v. everything else.

Edited by HoltonH178

If DCI's primary goal is to make a lot of money for a few select people from a few select corps, than I'm going with Hopkins on this one.

If DCI's primary goal is to create an amazing, positive experience for as many members as possible, than I'm going with Stewart.

Life is tough, life is competition, we live in a capitalist society, drum corps teaches you life lessons, yada yada yada. DCI is a business and has the responsibility to stay fiscally sound, I understand that, but deep down it's only marching band. DCI is creating a situation in which a few people are making more and more money, and each year we have less and less corps on the field. Whether these corps came in 1st or 201st, there were thousands of kids and young adults that had an opportunity that they couldn't get anywhere else. Now they don't have that chance. Widdling down the number of corps to make more money, and become more attractive to ESPN or whatever sponsor DCI is trying to get, doesn't seem quite as appealing to me.

Money does not equal success. Winning does not equal success. Both winning and money have a lot to do with percieved success, but at what cost. How about self respect, how about pride, how about helping other people, even if you don't get anything out of it. Exxon Mobil makes a lot of money. I would be embarassed if anybody in my family was on their board of directors. If we all treat DCI like a major corporation where money is the bottom line, then Exxon is something to strive to be. If, however, we treat drum corps like a youth activity who's bottom line is the members' experience we may be more proud of ourselves at the end of the day.

It's impossible to say where we would be if the the powerful couple at the top of DCI's board that make all the decisions agreed with Scott. There is a reason that so many people love Scott Stewart, it isn't because he blew smoke up their bum, or because he was old school and didn't want to change anything, it's because of his selfless approach to life.

I, of course, marched under Scott's leadership so I'm a bit biased. I marched under a different director as well, and have taught under 4 different directors, so I have a bit of perspective as well.

The Kilties are lucky to have a human being of Scott's caliber at their helm.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

If DCI's primary goal is to make a lot of money for a few select people from a few select corps, than I'm going with Hopkins on this one.

If DCI's primary goal is to create an amazing, positive experience for as many members as possible, than I'm going with Stewart.

Wasn't part of Hopkins' plan to stop excluding potential members?

can we have a cage match? a fight to the death? is it in the works?
I'd pay the price of a finals ticket to see that one!!!! :P :P