Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

Hah, that's great.

I've actually talked to my caption head and he recommended me an excersize, I'll start that tomorrow. And yes, warming up for a while really does help me, especially in darkening my tone. I was really happy to hear how well it worked when we had a brass clinic today. I was able to hit F's, sometimes fairly strongly, but most of the time cracking or fairly weak. Thankyou all for the advice.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I really want to improve my range. I can hit a D above high C pretty much on command, although not with the greatest tone but I really want to improve. For some reason its like a barrier between Eb and E. I can hit an Eb with a little more effort, but I just can't get that half a step higher. Also on a good day I can hit F's well, just its shakey. Anyone have advice on improve range, and tone quality in the upper register? I'm not exactly sure how, but I really want to improve. Any really good excersizes or anything? Thanks for the help.

Hello you can visit my website page "technique" www.euphonium.fr , the technique is explained

Vincent

Frank Minear (RIP...wonderful gentleman) had a great exercise program. He had written exercises and a CD to listen to.

It may still be out there someplace.

Personal opinion, air support (as always) is vital in any register. Hold the diaphram firm like you're trying to push out a turd to support the air. Frank suggested 1/4 note octave slurs going up 1/2 steps, and always pausing at least 20 seconds between slurs. rest is just as vital as playing time. When you do a slur and miss the top note twice, put the horn away for the day. Plus a lot has to do with tongue placement, etc.

Frank Minear (RIP...wonderful gentleman) had a great exercise program. He had written exercises and a CD to listen to.

Personal opinion, air support (as always) is vital in any register. Hold the diaphram firm like you're trying to push out a turd to support the air. Frank suggested 1/4 note octave slurs going up 1/2 steps, and always pausing at least 20 seconds between slurs. rest is just as vital as playing time. When you do a slur and miss the top note twice, put the horn away for the day. Plus a lot has to do with tongue placement, etc.

I have used Frank's method for about 10 years. Warm up to it everyday.

Probably a fine method, but just a little physiology to help clear some things. The diaphragm is a thin muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen and is only used on inhalation. The abdominal, back, chest, shoulders all play some part in exhalation and those are the muscles that support the controlled exhalation or uh, "turd" expelling.

Edited by Martybucs

Being a french horn player, it's been my experience on trumpet, that to get into the high range it's best to dig the mouthpiece as far into your face as you can. If you're doing it right, you should feel a nice bruise on your right pinky after playing for awhile. =)

I had heard about Bill Carmichael from a friend and saw that he had a method. I was reminded what a small world it was when I joined my church choir and the choir director said that he has this guy play in his band from time to time. How nice! I crashed a wedding reception near me at the time, in Tampa, to meet Bill. It is neat to hear someone PLAY, not 'hit', a double C like he's sipping water. Just like that...picks up the horn, places on chops and PLAYS CC. Bill is a great guy that listens.

The way I see it, you don't ask a poor man how to be rich.

What has made the transition difficult for me is apartment living. I keep my trumpet in my truck at work and my soprano at home for when I'm home on Fridays...I practice when time and situation allots. None-the-less, I have seen results and certainly feel great potential to surpass my double G from the past...with much less pressure (using counter-presssure) and adjusting horn angle for my overbite (see pic in signature). I had been looking for something like this for 12 years.

http://www.screamin.net/

Edited by fick