What is the purpose these days?

Playing the education card is a last ditch attempt to grasp for relevancy after making changes (and discussing more) that have turned off increasing numbers of the old guard. Problem is, as others have pointed out, serious music programs generally don't appear to appreciate DCI's style of "education." So they back themselves into a corner and now believe that drum corps has to be re-invented as marching band in order to fulfill this new "education" mission they've accepted.

Sad but true.

As for when the "education" component got factored in, I can't come up with an exact time, but it was well after I marched (I aged out after the '80 season). It seems to me I started seeing/hearing it in the late '90s, and it really started getting pushed after 2000. It's even hyped several times on DCI's official website: About DCI

For me, tying the "educational" aspect in with drum corps really reaching. When I was in corps, very few music educators took drum corps seriously as a teaching tool, and in fact many rejected it as being opposite of what they were trying to teach. And, for me, looking back on it, of course there were learning experiences, but those same experiences happen in many different endeavors in life that don't tout themselves as "educational" institutions. What I learned, specifically, in corps was how to perform a particular show. While there were many life lessons I took out of that, and I also used that experience to teach guard for 14 years, I don't consider what I did in corps, or as an instructor, teaching in any real educational way. I learned, and taught others, how to do something by rote. I've never considered that true learning, whether it's on the field or in a classroom.

Edited by byline

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MikeD- In a perfect world, every American kid would get a great music education in the public school system. But, there are too many schools in this country that are failing to give their students even a good "basic" education. The number of high school graduates who are functionally illiterate is criminal. There are high school students, who when given a blank map of Europe, label it with America's states! Too many districts are more concerned with their sports programs, than with math, science, or language skills.

I think music and sports are great...but the basics need to be the real priority.

And so, when the money goes to "readin', writin', and rithmatic..." there won't be enough for music programs. Kinda like a lot of schools back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. That's one of the reasons I joined a drum corps. The marching band programs used to be horrible around my area.

For some, the things they learn in corps are actually of more value than what they learn in school...

with all respect, I've NEVER bought into this argument. More money is being spent on the 3 Rs...sorry on teaching to a standardized test now then ever before. It's not about money. I was a product of the 70s high school experience...antiquated as it was and I am able to compete in my field with anyone in the world and have.

the problem...if you look...and check the research isn't about stupider American school children or lazy teachers or bad schools. It's about American companies not wanting to pay what it costs to employ the geniuses we produce. It's more profitable to outsource the work to the geniuses abroad. Or the manufacturers abroad, etc. Most of that is due to the high cost of our healthcare benefits. Have you looked into the numbers of contractors employed today as compared to actual company employees. It's just more profitable to do so.

Most schools have not abandoned their arts programs due to money. Most have abandoned them due to scheduling conflicts. More of those reading, writing, rithmatic classes clashing with the band, chorus, art and drama classes. Funny how many of the same kids who need that college prep class also love to play the tuba, flute or trumpet.

I don't know where the knocks about public education started. Public schools have and continue to serve this country well. Too many servants of this great democracy have been needlessly tarnished for selflessly giving to the education of our young people and preparing them to be solid citizens.

Why all the focus on music education at such expense?

In any organized activity as a youth, you will learn lifelong lessons that will be of great benefit. Most youth activities cost a fraction of what band and drum corps cost.

Yup, this bang-on!

Edited by byline

Bull..Numerous Studies show music education students do better with cognitive thinking skills, and in general score higher on standardized tests. In addition, students who take part in school music programs are less likely to be discipline problems.

Lord, what happened to me then? :ph34r:

The kids today still do it because drumcorps is rewarding to them, and because they want to do marching music at the highest level.

If they can afford it.

Hate to say it, but this is America where money does mean a lot.

So much for Drum Corps International.

Okay, i didn't read anyone's response, so if i repeat something already said, i'm sorry. How can u say DCI isn't about entertaining based on the fact they can't afford to broadcast on ESPN2 anymore? What theres over 20 corps in div. 1 that all perform many shows throughout the year, i believe that is entertaining.

And for the 2nd point, they have to charge the prices to run the drum corps, u obviously have no clue how much it costs to run a drum corps. And then DCI isn't responsible for making new drum corps, some1 starts a drum corps and then joins DCI to compete.

Lord, what happened to me then? :tounge2:

If they can afford it.

And is is great if they can, or can find a way to afford it!!

Just because drumcorps doesn't necessarily serve the poor huddeled masses from the crime ridden streets of (insert city here)any more does not mean the activity does not have merit.

Why do people think that you have to serve the poor and disadvantaged to be important??

Drum corps gives a great activity to young people. So what if they are middle class kids. They are still kids.

the problem...if you look...and check the research isn't about stupider American school children or lazy teachers or bad schools. It's about American companies not wanting to pay what it costs to employ the geniuses we produce. It's more profitable to outsource the work to the geniuses abroad. Or the manufacturers abroad, etc. Most of that is due to the high cost of our healthcare benefits. Have you looked into the numbers of contractors employed today as compared to actual company employees. It's just more profitable to do so.

So Tom, you defend public education (and I have nothing about public education) but in the next breath make a similar gross generalization by blaming it on "American companies?" C'mon.