They're Not Bugles/So Bring On the Woodwinds

Not that it was bad, just that it was not the "same" as the original.

Of course it wasn't the same. But that's the whole idea! Same thing with Stars and Stripes with a piccolo. We've all heard it with the piccolo before. We've all heard orchestras play classical repertoire with the originally intended instrumentation. Let's hear what it sounds like with all brass and percussion! Will it be the same? Of course not, but that's the point!

"The Sunshine Of Your Love" is a classic song by Cream (with Eric Clapton). Wouldn't it be cool if the song that was originally done with electric guitars, bass, drums, and a singer was done by ONE singer dubbing over himself? That's probably what Bobby McFerrin thought when he recorded it back in the late 80's (same album as "Don't Worry Be Happy"). Was it the same as Cream? No, but that was the whole idea! How about Jon Hendricks transcribing well-known solos by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Louis Armstrong into vocal solos with lyrics? Same thing.

And maybe you feel that it's better with the original instrumentation. That's fine. But that doesn't mean that a brass-percussion-only arrangement, although different, can't be good too!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MikeD- No limits on instrumentation means you have to include bagpipes, kazoos, and ......

wait for it......

slide-whistles!

Nice ensemble sound, those three. :devil:

Whistles have been allowed since the inception of DCI (I believe). I remember being told that regarding a cukoo whistle in Cavaliers' 1976 drum solo.

The best slide whistle effect ever put on the field, in my opinion, was in SCV's 1991 "Miss Saigon" show when it depicted the falling of a bomb. All other sound stopped during that moment. It was extremely effective.

Why would you want to limit WW to the pit? Unless you want ot feature some sort of specialzed group that needs to be micced, a la an oboe or bassoon.

As for judging...there are thousands of bands that compete and are judged just fine, by many of the same folks who judge in DCI. IMO that is a non-issue.

Not a prob to me.

Yes, some do...but overall most do not. I arrange for a band here in NJ. We compete in the USSBA II Open division (II meaning size class....small and Open meaning the top competitive level...it's not BOA caliber). The music I write uses every element of the band as appropriate, and I think most do this...though some are still "brass-centric" more than they should be, IMO.

I find the volumes to be just fine.

We each hold our own opinions, which is just fine.

So all these things are fine with you. And all these things exist already in the band world. Why do we need to white wash the brass and percussion in this activity when it exists in thousands of other places? A significant number of people want the all brass sound. For the rest, it all exists already. Some of us like the increased volumes that can be afforded by all brass. For those who don't need it, it already exists. Why do we have to lose what we appreciate when you have what you appreciate already?

Of course it wasn't the same. But that's the whole idea! Same thing with Stars and Stripes with a piccolo. We've all heard it with the piccolo before. We've all heard orchestras play classical repertoire with the originally intended instrumentation. Let's hear what it sounds like with all brass and percussion! Will it be the same? Of course not, but that's the point!

"The Sunshine Of Your Love" is a classic song by Cream (with Eric Clapton). Wouldn't it be cool if the song that was originally done with electric guitars, bass, drums, and a singer was done by ONE singer dubbing over himself? That's probably what Bobby McFerrin thought when he recorded it back in the late 80's (same album as "Don't Worry Be Happy"). Was it the same as Cream? No, but that was the whole idea! How about Jon Hendricks transcribing well-known solos by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Louis Armstrong into vocal solos with lyrics? Same thing.

And maybe you feel that it's better with the original instrumentation. That's fine. But that doesn't mean that a brass-percussion-only arrangement, although different, can't be good too!

Good points. If you want to hear Stars and Stripes with the piccalo, then go to an organization that has them. They already exist. I liked the sound of the piccalo soprano, but MikeD et. al. wants to take that away because "it needs the piccalo." Who says so?

Man. I just get sick to my stomach every time the ww prop rears it's ugly head! :devil:

Same thing with Stars and Stripes with a piccolo. We've all heard it with the piccolo before. We've all heard orchestras play classical repertoire with the originally intended instrumentation. Let's hear what it sounds like with all brass and percussion! Will it be the same? Of course not, but that's the point!

How about the piccolo obligato played on Tuba ? I did it in college !

It also comes to mind, didn't Madison play Stars and Stripes back about 1976 ?

Edited by Old School Contra Guy

So all these things are fine with you. And all these things exist already in the band world. Why do we need to white wash the brass and percussion in this activity when it exists in thousands of other places? A significant number of people want the all brass sound. For the rest, it all exists already. Some of us like the increased volumes that can be afforded by all brass. For those who don't need it, it already exists. Why do we have to lose what we appreciate when you have what you appreciate already?

Well, I don't see WW being added any time soon, so "you win" so to speak. I am stating my opinion, that's all. There aren't any MB the caliber of the DCI top World corps, so no, I don't really have what I want, but that's OK. I really don't care what you or others want when it comes to my own opinion. You don't seem to care what I want, and that's OK too.

Good points. If you want to hear Stars and Stripes with the piccalo, then go to an organization that has them. They already exist. I liked the sound of the piccalo soprano, but MikeD et. al. wants to take that away because "it needs the piccalo." Who says so?

I have heard it on brass sporadically since 1965, and IMO it just doesn't work. I want to hear a it on piccolo because that's how I want to hear it.

Man Mike, I don't know how you do it. You have got to be the best at debating the "pro-any" thing side and you never lash out. I don't think I'll ever agree with you regarding vocals or ww's but you have my undying respect. I've got to meet you one of these days.

It's the meds, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edited by skajerk

I have heard it on brass sporadically since 1965, and IMO it just doesn't work. I want to hear a it on piccolo because that's how I want to hear it.

Then as of right now, you have 2 choices:

1. Go listen to the Eastman Wind Ensemble. I hear they have a good piccolo player.

2. Have an open mind about brass and percussion instruments playing music originally played by other instruments.