Can we Stop Using the Words Graduation and Faculty Now ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says it has to be an official school? Basically everyone is always learning from staff members at drum corps, so drum corps is basically a school for visual/performing arts. Therefore both definitions would apply.

A little thing called Websters.......... :laughing:

Ummm... gonna be picky? I'd like to HEAR that...

I HEAR ya......

You beat to correcting my typo...... :laughing:

Semantics: When you just want to ##### about something....

I'm willing to play this game.

School:

1: an organization that provides instruction: as a: an institution for the teaching of children

from m-w.com

So, since children do participate in drum corps, and if you want to include young adults as children....... faculty, staff, and tuition it is. GASP.

Okay...Why would they join a "drum" corps if they're in the guard? And why call it "drum and bugle" corps if there are no more bugles? Why not call it a "brass, percussion and visual ensemble team"?

I am sure you are aware Mike (Just as I am) the days of calling our activity "Drum and Bugle corps" (At least in DCI) are limited.

Can you hear it.....the clock is ticking.

I am sure you are aware Mike (Just as I am) the days of calling our activity "Drum and Bugle corps" (At least in DCI) are limited.

Caballero

Member of the lowest level of the knightly class, acquiring status and tax exemptions by the ownership of a horse and its use in combat.

(with all due respect to the FINE organization from New Jersey), should they REALLY be misleading the public considering most of them don't own a horse?

:laughing:

I got bored with this...thought i'd have some fun (these are M-W definiitions)

Cavalier: a gentleman trained in arms and horsemenship, a mounted knight, or adherent of Charles I of England

Cadet: A: a younger brother or son B: youngest son C: a younger branch of a family or a member of it

Vanguard: A: The troops moving at the head of an army B: The forefront of an action or movement.

Regiment: A military unit consisting usually of a number of battalions

Crusader: A person who crusades (lol..nice definition there...)

Not sure why i did this....lol...anyway..enjoy?

Semantics: When you just want to ##### about something....

I'm willing to play this game.

School:

1: an organization that provides instruction: as a: an institution for the teaching of children

from m-w.com

So, since children do participate in drum corps, and if you want to include young adults as children....... faculty, staff, and tuition it is. GASP.

I was just going to post this. I mean, if we're all for strict by-the-book definitions, than a drum corps could in theory be described as a "school." Point is, this is a silly argument about semantics, and I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

Okay, what will we call it? And who is going to make that decision?