Rule Proposal 2008-02

Rules 2008  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Age Requirements

• No; maintain the June 1 date
    • Yes; use the calendar year including 22, adding 5 months of eligibility

http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2008/02_age.pdf

In order to be eligible to perform as a member of a corps participating in Drum Corps International, a

participant must be 22 years of age or younger, during the calendar year of the competitions. As an

example, in 2008, as long as a participant does not turn 23 until January 1, 2009 or later, the individual

would be allowed participation rights in the drum corps of their choice

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm...this would mean i wouldn't age out this year.....

i might actually like this one *Runs from being beaten by everyone on DCP*

Still a year short for me.... :devil:

Honestly, as someone who marched after graduation, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Yeah, the extra year was amazing, but my job search is so much harder, and I really couldn't find ANYTHING before the summer, whereas my classmates were being employed 2 to 3 months before graduation. Add tour fees to college loans and wow it's hard to pull it off... and you can't not march your age out in this community, lest you be shunned.

The theory that more and more people are spending 5 years in college seems silly, the standard is still 4 years.

Honestly, as someone who marched after graduation, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Yeah, the extra year was amazing, but my job search is so much harder, and I really couldn't find ANYTHING before the summer, whereas my classmates were being employed 2 to 3 months before graduation. Add tour fees to college loans and wow it's hard to pull it off... and you can't not march your age out in this community, lest you be shunned.

The theory that more and more people are spending 5 years in college seems silly, the standard is still 4 years.

at my college the average music major is 4 1/2 semester..i could possibly see your point though...

I think the only people that would vote no to this are people that have aged out already. If you ask me an extra year to march would probably be the best thing anyone could ever give me.

I think the only people that would vote no to this are people that have aged out already. If you ask me an extra year to march would probably be the best thing anyone could ever give me.

That may be true, but when you try to get corporations to fund a youth activity, a bunch of 22 year olds look like men & women. 21, as we are still close to 21, is still that magic kid number.

Ain't right; just is. And I'm not about to throw out donations and such because people are of the preconception that they aren't really kids.

i don't see a problem w/ it

doesn't affect me anyway (b-day is in Nov.)