Rule Proposal 2008-03

Rules 2008  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Water usage

• No; maintain water as illegal
    • Yes; allow water usage according to the proposal

It was after Magic was throwing water around during a drunken pirates scene in their 04 show...

I was always surprised that that caused more upheaval than the fact that we were depicting drinking rum and having fun of it. Any other venue parents would've been up in arms about positve portrayl of underage drinking and so on, but not here! :devil:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this so they can act out the Columbine scene with water guns?

Guard in trench coats with super soakers; throwing water balloons everywhere?

Wow...you are by far probably the worst poster on DCP. It would be a difficult task to look through your posts and find something positive that you've said. You've taken that to a new level.

You don't like drum corps, walk away and leave the rest of us who still like drum corps to discuss matters.

I was always surprised that that caused more upheaval than the fact that we were depicting drinking rum and having fun of it. Any other venue parents would've been up in arms about positve portrayl of underage drinking and so on, but not here! :devil:

Yeah...but in DCA you'd get a nice GE score out of it!!!

It sounds like a lot of people on this thread didn't even bother to read past the name of the proposal.....

Hopkins comes across, to me atleast, wanting to use water sounds in the front ensemble and not out on the field....also it sounds like he wants to have the use of water colors for color guard flags.....what is the problem with either one of those?

Edited by idlethreats

Maybe Cavies will revisit the Niagara Falls show. :cool:

It sounds like a lot of people on this thread didn't even bother to read past the name of the proposal.....

Hopkins comes across, to me atleast, wanting to use water sounds in the front ensemble and not out on the field....also it sounds like he wants to have the use of water colors for color guard flags.....what is the problem with either one of those?

Two things:

First, dried paint is not illegal. But the first time a corps drops wet paint on a field, we'll never be invited back. Imagining ruining the Colts' new turf...

Second, if the proposal is to allow water-based instruments, that's what the proposal should be for, only. If he wants to rub a half-filled glass, fine. Propose that.

Two things:

First, dried paint is not illegal. But the first time a corps drops wet paint on a field, we'll never be invited back. Imagining ruining the Colts' new turf...

Oh shoot, I forgot about that. Many stadiums are serious about the condition of the field. It's one thing for grass to be marched down but some some of the artificial turf surfaces these water based paints would cause problems with the those that take care of the field. Yeah, I can see a show no longer being allowed at a specific site if any corps leaves paint on the field, especially if more than one corps does it.

Second, if the proposal is to allow water-based instruments, that's what the proposal should be for, only. If he wants to rub a half-filled glass, fine. Propose that.
Besides a water harp what other water-based instruments are out there?

Oh shoot, I forgot about that. Many stadiums are serious about the condition of the field. It's one thing for grass to be marched down but some some of the artificial turf surfaces these water based paints would cause problems with the those that take care of the field. Yeah, I can see a show no longer being allowed at a specific site if any corps leaves paint on the field, especially if more than one corps does it.

Besides a water harp what other water-based instruments are out there?

Well, I've mentioned crystal glasses. A variety of effects can be achieved by opening up the pit to the use of water. Perhaps, it one were to fill a tom up with water between the head and the resonating head it would drastically alter the sound of the tom. Different effect, same instrument. Just add water.

The possibilities of using acoustical instruments and altering them can be many. I believe this is a great proposal and hope that the BOD has the insight to vote yes for it. If you dont like electronics, no problem. We can create great, dynamic musical effects in the pit without a synthesizer, but before we do, we need to allow for a complete, full variety of choices for composers/arrangers so that they can find and pick the best possible acoustical sound to represent their concepts.

I see this as a positive step and one that will add to the quality of drum corps shows.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

Another part that hasn't been discussed, the water itself. Right now the southeast is in a drought. Water restrictions are up. How would corps handle this in these areas? Now this can only can be discussed if the same area is still in strict water restriction. Afterall, corps don't carry a lot of water, I can't see the corps leaving water in said instruments. Lot of issues that Hoppy always seems to miss when he makes ANY proposals.