Rule Proposal 2008-05

Rules 2008  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification of Brass

• No; maintain that amplification of brass is not allowed
    • Yes; allow brass instruments to be amplified

Why would those outside of the top-9 ever vote yes to such a change, if it is real? Really, why would anyone outside of the top 4 or 5, since someone in 8th or 9th now might be 10th or 13th a year later.

I think a huge case can be made for this being a horribly bad move, even for the top 9 corps. However, the instant gratification syndrome might convince the top 9 to vote for it. And I think it would only need 9 votes, because my understanding is that there are only 17 corps currently sitting with voting privileges. Not counting the at large votes, of course. That makes the choice of the number 9 very significant.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a huge case can be made for this being a horribly bad move, even for the top 9 corps. However, the instant gratification syndrome might convince the top 9 to vote for it. And I think it would only need 9 votes, because my understanding is that there are only 17 corps currently sitting with voting privileges. Not counting the at large votes, of course. That makes the choice of the number 9 very significant.

Now there is a point...wouldn't they need 11 votes since the 4 at large members also count? Or is something like this different?

How can you say its not against the will of the fans? Even though DCP does not represent even close to the same numbers as in the stands, a 92% majority from over 350 votes is a pretty significant statement. Its obvious that the majority of DCP is not in favor of increasing the amount of amplification in drum corps; and though some online poll does not necessarily reflect the views of the majority of the audience, in this case, I think it would.

How can you say its not against the will of the fans? Even though DCP does not represent even close to the same numbers as in the stands, a 92% majority from over 350 votes is a pretty significant statement. Its obvious that the majority of DCP is not in favor of increasing the amount of amplification in drum corps; and though some online poll does not necessarily reflect the views of the majority of the audience, in this case, I think it would.

No, it's not a "strong" statement as regards the majority of fans at all. It's just those on DCP. You can't extrapolate it across all of drum corps fans.

I don't care what the majority on DCP think.

How is it representative of the views of the majority? Or is it just that the DCP POV is YOUR POV as well?

No, it's not a "strong" statement as regards the majority of fans at all. It's just those on DCP. You can't extrapolate it across all of drum corps fans.

I don't care what the majority on DCP think.

How is it representative of the views of the majority? Or is it just that the DCP POV is YOUR POV as well?

In general the DCP crowd has marched, volunteered, instructed or served on a corps BOD. I've done all 4. There is a lot more knowledge per user in DCP than there is in the stands. You dismiss every petition, and every poll in DCP as insignificant. Significantly they all go against your POV, most by landslide margins. Like it or not Mike, that is a strong statement.

I can say the reverse for you. You dismiss them because they are not yours?

Now Im not going to make that assumption (as you implied to me), but if you go to a drum corps show and think that the majority of people are for increasing the amount of amplification (or being able to talk during a show at all), you arent listening hard enough

I can say the reverse for you. You dismiss them because they are not yours?

Now Im not going to make that assumption (as you implied to me), but if you go to a drum corps show and think that the majority of people are for increasing the amount of amplification (or being able to talk during a show at all), you arent listening hard enough

There is no way to determine what the majority wants.

In general the DCP crowd has marched, volunteered, instructed or served on a corps BOD. I've done all 4. There is a lot more knowledge per user in DCP than there is in the stands. You dismiss every petition, and every poll in DCP as insignificant. Significantly they all go against your POV, most by landslide margins. Like it or not Mike, that is a strong statement.

Doesn't matter what I think, or what DCP thinks. As long as people attend shows is the main indicator of success for DCI, IMO.