Rule Proposal 2008-09

Rules 2008  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification limited to Front Ensemble percussion instruments

• No; amplification remains as is, not necessarily limited to percussion
    • Yes; sounds created by members themselves (i.e., voice, narration, whistling, breathing, sound effects, etc.) are made illegal

If they won't eliminate amplification completely, they should at least pass this one. I can live with this as a compromise position since I can understand the improvement when limited to pit instruments both in terms of sound and technical performance. If keeping the pit amplified means we get all the extra nonsense currently going on, I'd rather it be eliminated altogether. It is great to see an actual DIRECTOR go on record stating what many of us have been saying on the boards when it comes to this stuff.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they won't eliminate amplification completely, they should at least pass this one. I can live with this as a compromise position since I can understand the improvement when limited to pit instruments both in terms of sound and technical performance. If keeping the pit amplified means we get all the extra nonsense currently going on, I'd rather it be eliminated altogether. It is great to see an actual DIRECTOR go on record stating what many of us have been saying on the boards when it comes to this stuff.

Let me be perfectly clear here. These were my proposals. Brad signed them so that they could be put forth. It does not mean he agrees with my views. He is just not afraid of the debate. Once a rule has been passed, we should not fear re-visiting it to determine whether it has been effective and whether it has met the stated goals in the proposal. We should also be willing to look back and determine whether the assumptions made in the original proposal have proved to be accurate (i.e., financial impacts, show promoter impacts, logistical impacts, etc.). It may not change anything, but the debate should not be feared. Brad was willing to entertain the debate. He is not going on record stating a view.

Let me be perfectly clear here. These were my proposals. Brad signed them so that they could be put forth. It does not mean he agrees with my views. He is just not afraid of the debate. Once a rule has been passed, we should not fear re-visiting it to determine whether it has been effective and whether it has met the stated goals in the proposal. We should also be willing to look back and determine whether the assumptions made in the original proposal have proved to be accurate (i.e., financial impacts, show promoter impacts, logistical impacts, etc.). It may not change anything, but the debate should not be feared. Brad was willing to entertain the debate. He is not going on record stating a view.

I thought signing them meant something. Did he not sign them? At least he is endorsing a conversation that the rest of the directors have tried to ignore.

Edited by Tekneek

I thought signing them meant something. Did he not sign them? At least he is endorsing a conversation that the rest of the directors have tried to ignore.

Brad signed them, so that they could be put forth - period. If they fail, I would expect the corps to consider using all available and legal tools to put a competitive product on the field.

Brad signed them, so that they could be put forth - period. If they fail, I would expect the corps to consider using all available and legal tools to put a competitive product on the field.

Sure. I'm not saying that he is prepared to take a hardline stance on this. However, it is nice for this to be official and hopefully be given the discussion they deserve.

I'd be interested in seeing a proposal that would limit human voice amplification to a maximum 30 seconds per show.

This way you could still do the cool effects (such as Bluecoats last year) but not have the annoyance of talking over an entire show.

I'd be interested in seeing a proposal that would limit human voice amplification to a maximum 30 seconds per show.

This way you could still do the cool effects (such as Bluecoats last year) but not have the annoyance of talking over an entire show.

Personally, I'd be ok with a bullhorn. How long till you're sick of that, anyhow?

I am pro-amplification of pit instruments.

I'm paraphrasing, but Scott Johnson said "Its about time pit instruments be allowed to be amplified. If they werent, there would be a beautiful musical passage that wouldnt be able to be heard by an audience, so the arrangers would have to water down the parts. If the pit could be heard all the time, no parts would have to be watered down".

I completely agree. Scott Johnson is God.

I am pro-amplification of pit instruments.

I'm paraphrasing, but Scott Johnson said "Its about time pit instruments be allowed to be amplified. If they werent, there would be a beautiful musical passage that wouldnt be able to be heard by an audience, so the arrangers would have to water down the parts. If the pit could be heard all the time, no parts would have to be watered down".

I completely agree. Scott Johnson is God.

Uhhhhhhh, NO. Scott Johnson is Scott Johnson. God is God.

(BTW, it is a shame that none of these threads mean diddly. The corps staffs have been ignoring the wishes, desires and preferrences of the fans for years. I really think they would not care at all if the fans just never showed up).

(BTW, it is a shame that none of these threads mean diddly. The corps staffs have been ignoring the wishes, desires and preferrences of the fans for years. I really think they would not care at all if the fans just never showed up).

You may be right here...I mean how many ways can they stroke their own ego?

It is getting ridiculous.