If not Hoppy, who?

I believe if amps are eliminated entirely it will only stunt the growth of the activity and even set it back a few years.I'm going to stand up for Hopkins for a moment. Drum Corps needs change. I dont enjoy hearing people sing while whole the corps does backups. People were afraid of jazz at first. Jazz revolutionized music. The third valve brings up the same feelings in people. If people were still playing with only two valves do you think any high school students would be taking interest in the activity? There would be no one good in drum corps anymore. Drum corps from the 70's WILL NOT ever make it to VH1 classics. It is my hope, my dream, that someday drum corps will become mainstream. That cant happen if everyone still marches two valved instruments in symetrical drill with mounted tympanis. Music needs change. Music is the fastest changing artform today. Everyone listens to music. Not everyone likes drum corps. How do we solve that problem? Getting rid of amplification is like taking one step forward and two steps backwards.

Now Hopkins...

He seems to be the only one thinking ahead. If no one is going to be progressive, I guess the crazy guy needs to say something. Have yall read his proposals? The guy puts no effort at all into them. This is the third year he's condracticted himself in his responses. "this will have no impact...well, it will if everything goes right...the impact this will have is the entire reason for my proposal!" I've never seen someone fill out a professional document so carelessly. He's not trying to get things passed. And people think that he has good ideas.

Crazy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum Corps needs change.

Why?

Seriously, the types of changes being discussed here require more than just the usual Darwinistic rhetoric (i.e. "change or die") as justification. And, in particular, since you mention amps, why does drum corps need that particular change?

I'd love to know what Hoppy promises these directors to get them to go along with these half brained ideas.

That the number of high schoolers they draw will more than make up for the people they drive away. His proposals make this clear ("there will be a certain section of fans that will hate this. tough #### for them." I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly.).

I believe if amps are eliminated entirely it will only stunt the growth of the activity and even set it back a few years.I'm going to stand up for Hopkins for a moment. Drum Corps needs change. I dont enjoy hearing people sing while whole the corps does backups. People were afraid of jazz at first. Jazz revolutionized music. The third valve brings up the same feelings in people. If people were still playing with only two valves do you think any high school students would be taking interest in the activity? There would be no one good in drum corps anymore. Drum corps from the 70's WILL NOT ever make it to VH1 classics. It is my hope, my dream, that someday drum corps will become mainstream. That cant happen if everyone still marches two valved instruments in symetrical drill with mounted tympanis. Music needs change. Music is the fastest changing artform today. Everyone listens to music. Not everyone likes drum corps. How do we solve that problem? Getting rid of amplification is like taking one step forward and two steps backwards.

Mainstream, huh?

I can't wait to see the Blue Devils doing 50 Cent and Phantom's bringing the SexyBack.

Or do you have another interpretation of mainstream? 'Cause this is what makes up the majority of "everyone (that) listens to music" nowadays.

By the way, we almost hit that mainstream point with the Crossmen radio show of 2 or 3 years ago. Was "My Humps" the greatest moment in the history of drum corps?

What does he do with his other hand?

Orchestrate his Borg.

That the number of high schoolers they draw will more than make up for the people they drive away. His proposals make this clear ("there will be a certain section of fans that will hate this. tough #### for them." I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly.).

Unfortunately, if Hoppy alienates the fans enough, he'll have a rude awakening when they stop coming.

Then it'll be tough #### for him, and I won't feel the least bit sorry for him, but I'll be sorely disappointed for the kids who won't be able to march, due to the ever increasing "tuition" that the corps will be forced to charge because fan revenue is dwindling.

Why?

Seriously, the types of changes being discussed here require more than just the usual Darwinistic rhetoric (i.e. "change or die") as justification. And, in particular, since you mention amps, why does drum corps need that particular change?

Why do people think that the only way to change is with amps and electronics? Drum corps changes and evolves each and every year. Didn't need amps to do that and it won't need electronic instruments either. Just needs creative minds.

He has said that before. So far, attendance is up a little, at best. Therefor, it appears those replacing those driven away by only a very small number...again, that's at best. Wouldn't it be better to find ways to attract new fans while keeping the old fans as well? :devil:

Mainstream, huh?

I can't wait to see the Blue Devils doing 50 Cent and Phantom's bringing the SexyBack.

Or do you have another interpretation of mainstream? 'Cause this is what makes up the majority of "everyone (that) listens to music" nowadays.

Oh, and by the way, Hopkins is resigned (as most of us probably should be) that drum corps is and always will be a niche activity.

So much for his proposals bringing drum corps to the main stream, eh? :devil: