If not Hoppy, who?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. So, DCI is unique, but no more so than the two high schools that are with 5 miles of my apartment.

And as an aside, I love how electronics are seen as a strength for both uniqueness and mainstream...ness.

As happens quite often you mis-state what I said because you disagree.

All the time, and I am guessing not by accident.

IMO...

Yes to the first half, and no to the second.

Yes it should focus on it's uniqueness and strength, which is being the premier marching/music activity...marching & music major league sort of thing.

No, it should not just include brass and percussion anymore. Electronics and any other instrument a staff desires to use should be permitted. I'd prefer a new division, as I've said before, but if not, both Open and World should permit any and all instruments. That is how it will remain the premier activity over the long haul, IMO.

The instrumentation is the main recognizable aspect of drum corps that is unique and different from marching band.

By allowing any instrumentation, essentially becoming marching bands, the uniqueness is gone.

Drum corps may do it better, but it would no longer be unique. Two different concepts.

One could even argue the better aspect. Some top marching band programs are better than say some lower tier corps or some DCA corps that are a weekend only activity.

So how would it still be unique?

The instrumentation is the main recognizable aspect of drum corps that is unique and different from marching band.

By allowing any instrumentation, essentially becoming marching bands, the uniqueness is gone.

Drum corps may do it better, but it would no longer be unique. Two different concepts.

One could even argue the better aspect. Some top marching band programs are better than say some lower tier corps or some DCA corps that are a weekend only activity.

So how would it still be unique?

IMO:

The "unique" factor is not a comparison of MB to drum corps, as they are both "MB" in MHO. The entire MB activity, which includes drum corps, is "unique" in that it is a niche activity, not a mainstream one. It's comparing Granny Smith apples to Delicious apples to try and differentiate MB and DC.

You do not have to agree with what I think, of course, but it IS what I think on the topic.

IMO:

The "unique" factor is not a comparison of MB to drum corps, as they are both "MB" in MHO. The entire MB activity, which includes drum corps, is "unique" in that it is a niche activity, not a mainstream one. It's comparing Granny Smith apples to Delicious apples to try and differentiate MB and DC.

You do not have to agree with what I think, of course, but it IS what I think on the topic.

I'm willing to say that comparing DC to MB is like comparing apples to apples, but I love the unique tartness of Granny Smith apples and would be sad if I had nothing to eat from now on but bland Delicious apples because someone else with no interest in differentiating between the two decided that having only Delicious was good enough for everyone. :wub:

That's what most of the discussion on allowing WW into DC comes down to--there are people, myself included, that appreciate the brass/percussion sound of DC. Changing it is great for you, but leaves nothing for us. How 'bout we keep the DC Granny Smiths and get rid of the MB Deliciouses?

And that's what I think on the topic.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

I'm willing to say that comparing DC to MB is like comparing apples to apples, but I love the unique tartness of Granny Smith apples and would be sad if I had nothing to eat from now on but bland Delicious apples because someone else with no interest in differentiating between the two decided that having only Delicious was good enough for everyone. :thumbup:

:thumbup::wub::wub::wub::thumbup:

I'm willing to say that comparing DC to MB is like comparing apples to apples, but I love the unique tartness of Granny Smith apples and would be sad if I had nothing to eat from now on but bland Delicious apples because someone else with no interest in differentiating between the two decided that having only Delicious was good enough for everyone. :thumbup:

:thumbup::wub::wub::wub::thumbup: