If not Hoppy, who?

Going back to what audio said:

Well, I guess Mike has made his own choice, without regard to what the corps choose....

There is no difference here, regardless of what Mike calls them. You guys want it your way, regardless of what the drum corps themselves (directors) choose. It's not a deflection.

I never said that I didn't want it my way. In fact, I have been advocating for it. In response, MikeD has consitently said that the corps should be able to do what they want. They call themselves drum and bugle corps. MikeD has renamed them with his own bias, contradicting his statements that no matter what, the corps should do what they want and, more specifically, call themselves what ever they want no matter what idiom they actually are tooled for.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I am an authority now? Awesome. Thanks.

Ah, sarcasm - it's a wonderful thing!

I never said that I didn't want it my way. In fact, I have been advocating for it. In response, MikeD has consitently said that the corps should be able to do what they want. They call themselves drum and bugle corps. MikeD has renamed them with his own bias, contradicting his statements that no matter what, the corps should do what they want and, more specifically, call themselves what ever they want no matter what idiom they actually are tooled for.

Well, if it takes an argument in semantics to make you guys feel better, then go for it. Many people around the world would call what is put on the field each summer a marching band.

I called them bands on purpose in this thread. How may times have I called them corps? It wasn't a slip, but I call them corps all the time. BTW...where did I ever say corps had to do anything other than what they want?

To just about anyone outside of drum corps (99+% of the population) who happened to see a show they would be 'marching bands'.

No, I said that IMO these proposals are a big waste of time. I hope the BOD gives them short shrift. If they choose to give them more than that, it's their right. Where have I ever claimed otherwise?

You said that for the BOD to consider them would be a waste of the BOD's time.

Many people around the world would call what is put on the field each summer a marching band.

And they would be wrong. (But, at least they would be less wrong today than in the past.)

Just like the people who ask for a "Coke" when they really want a soda.

Or those who blow their noses in "Kleenex" when they really use a facial tissue.

Edited by Dale Bari

And they would be wrong. (But, at least they would be less wrong today than in the past.)

Technically, if we are talking world view and definition, no they would not be wrong. Again, semantics. . .and it is a silly argument.

Technically, if we are talking world view and definition, no they would not be wrong. Again, semantics. . .and it is a silly argument.

Using your terms...

world view (what the general layman would say): drum corps = marching band

definition (how the terms are generally defined): drum corps <> marching band.

Since the two statements are mutually exclusive, your above statement is completely false.

BTW, if it is a silly argument, why are you engaging in it?