eligibility

rebu

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't they been trying to get this passed for years? every year it gets shot down though... i'm fine with aging out after 7 years... ugh... i'll actually be kind of upset if they pass it just because i'll feel like i should march my technical age out year

Actually didn't the last one pass?

haven't they been trying to get this passed for years? every year it gets shot down though... i'm fine with aging out after 7 years... ugh... i'll actually be kind of upset if they pass it just because i'll feel like i should march my technical age out year

sweet avatar/username.

yeah i hope it doesnt get passed either.....aside from 6 being enough for me, and the fact that ive had "2008" as "that year" in my head since i started, i really dont want to have to deal with debating marching or not. i already know a bunch of things i could be doing the summer after i age out (bonnaroo for one, haha), and dont want to have to weigh those against potential guilt for not marching my last LAST summer of eligibility.

and no im not using the term 'graduate' anywhere.....thats what ill eventually do from college.

I can understand the first rule change, allowing anyone with a 22nd birthday after June 1 a chance to march that season, as they were 21 for a majority of the season, but if it is changed with the new proposal, a person who will be 22 for the entire season could march. IMHO, the activity will begin to cease being a youth activity. We will so more 21 and 22 year old members, and in most everyone's opinion, those are adults. And if we (both DCI and the corps themselves) continue to market this as a youth activity, then our actions won't be matching our words.

How would the new rule help anything? It gives a few older members another year, but what does it do for the corps?

Well, the corps with more older age members...ie: the top 3 or so...will experience an increase in their average age, giving them yet again another advantage.

Edited by ssorrell

I can understand the first rule change, allowing anyone with a 22nd birthday after June 1 a chance to march that season, as they were 21 for a majority of the season, but if it is changed with the new proposal, a person who will be 22 for the entire season could march. IMHO, the activity will begin to cease being a youth activity. We will so more 21 and 22 year old members, and in most everyone's opinion, those are adults. And if we (both DCI and the corps themselves) continue to market this as a youth activity, then our actions won't be matching our words.

How would the new rule help anything? It gives a few older members another year, but what does it do for the corps?

Well, the corps with more older age members...ie: the top 3 or so...will experience an increase in their average age, giving them yet again another advantage.

And there will be another couple hundred people (maybe more), eligable to march juniors in the first place. More people = more bodies in the lower tier corps, which since like a good counter to the 150 rule. Now, i understand that the trickle down affect doesnt always work (we see it every year with 'one and done' auditions at top 5 corps), but throwing another opportunity out there shouldnt hurt.

And there will be another couple hundred people (maybe more), eligable to march juniors in the first place. More people = more bodies in the lower tier corps, which since like a good counter to the 150 rule. Now, i understand that the trickle down affect doesnt always work (we see it every year with 'one and done' auditions at top 5 corps), but throwing another opportunity out there shouldnt hurt.

Do you actually think that there will be that many people that hadn't marched before they turned 22 that will do so because they will have the chance now if the new rule passes? I don't.

Yeah, we see several members who go to the top 5 corps for their one and only ageout season, but that doesn't happen much in the lower ranks and this rule certainly won't change that.

Although no one can claim to know exactly how it would effect the corps and who would take advantage of this rule change, but I would guess that the overwhelming majority of the persons utilizing this rule would be current members that would want an extra year before aging out. If this is the case, then that is not "another" couple hundred people marching...it's actually the opposite...members holding on to spots longer leaving less room for new auditionees.

Edited by ssorrell

Yeah...this would pretty much eliminate most everyone that ages out this year, or at least you would assume. Only those who got the extra year under the current rule would be aging out, and I doubt that is that many members.

Edited by ssorrell