The truth

Tank

I think it's pointless to argue whether DC is better than MB or vice-versa. Each activity has its fans. The fact that there are two (somewhat) distinct activities is a good thing. It give fans and members more choices.

An activity is defined by its fans as much as anything. If DC is going to change, and especially if it is going to change in a way that makes it less distinct from MB, then I think the fans and members should have a say, not just corps directors.

Choice is good.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree; drum corps does not need to look to marching band for its creative energy....even though there are similarities, they are not the same.

well of course not.

Drum corps designers can easily move beyond "opener, production, ballad, closer" under the current rules....the difference is that they choose not to, and then blame it on not having all the "tools" they need to do so.

so is there a great conspiracy among every designer out there NOT to try anything new?

the cavaliers have been doing the same show since 1999.

the blue devils ... 1994.

the cadets (more or less -- if you turn off the amps) ... 2000.

santa clara ... 1997.

frankly its getting a little boring.

so is there a great conspiracy among every designer out there NOT to try anything new?

the cavaliers have been doing the same show since 1999.

the blue devils ... 1994.

the cadets (more or less -- if you turn off the amps) ... 2000.

santa clara ... 1997.

frankly its getting a little boring.

Sure is, I agree with you there....maybe we need some new blood.

People have floated all kinds of interesting ideas here on various threads that play within the framework of the activity as it stands now.

If these people can do it, why can't the design teams? :cool:

the logical fallacy in this is that marching bands cannot achieve what drum corps can achieve, performance-wise.

the most well-designed shows are band shows. (boa finals is a better bang for your buck than dci finals, creatively.) the most well-performed shows are drum corps shows.

call it pretentious or whatever, but when was the last time we saw -- creatively -- anything fundamentally new in drum corps?

i'll take "art for art's sake" over eleven minutes of "opener, production, ballad, closer" every time.

So take it. BOA operates every year.

Okay well to me the truth is (and I'm not showing favorites).

The Cadets - George Hopkins - DCI 9 Time world Champion, current world record sharer

BlueStars - Brad Furlano (Kviz) - ....

Something will speak louder in the future.

The really harsh but sad truth is, the majority of the drum corps community, in the long run, will not give much credence or care for corps that aren't in the top corps, or more or less these days (Blue Devils, The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, or Bluecoats). The association with the staff goes with the title and placements of the corps.

People will talk way more about 2006 Cadets than 2005 Blue Devils, even though 2005 Blue Devils contained way more narration.

No one will mention Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats etc... of using narration, but when the Cadets do, all hell breaks loose and it'll seem like a surprise for DCP

Timothy Kviz's proposal is in the wrong grounds for his constituents: basically, most of the BoD voted to approve amps, and the top 12 is rampant with the use of them now. Some directors want to experiment using amps, the usage of amps is an option, not a requirement.

That's true. There must be over a hundred band directors that follow BOA.

Oh goodness. :cool:

the usage of amps is an option, not a requirement.

Usage of flags, horns and drums are also options, but not requirements.

If you're going to compete today, you need amps.

Usage of flags, horns and drums are also options, but not requirements.

If you're going to compete today, you need amps.

Actually if you didn't have any brass, percussion, or color guard, you would recieve a zero in the percussion, brass, and guard captions and have a lower score. In fact, I do believe that if a corps did not have all three elements, they would be ineligible for the season. Whereas the prescence or abscence of amps do not affect scores.

Edited by BX5CM

Actually if you didn't have any brass, percussion, or color guard, you would recieve a zero in the percussion, brass, and guard captions and have a lower score. In fact, I do believe that if a corps did not have all three elements, they would be ineligible for the season. Whereas the prescence or abscence of amps do not affect scores.

That is a very naive statement. Talk to the staff members of the corps and ask them what they think about this statement. I think you will get a very consistent response. You must "play the game" if you want to be competitive (i.e., amplify).