Fringe Junior Corps Organization

Someday when he marches, he'll stop caring like he does. Until then, DCP will have to deal with silly things like this.

Drum corps is providing the experience of a lifetime to thousands of willing individuals every year. There is no need to cater to the LEAST important aspect of drum corps (the style of show).

Edited by DrillmanSop06

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides that, i think you would be hard pressed to find people to audition for the new circuit. People want to perform in the big dog corps and have a chance to "make finals" and win a DCI championship in the way that we've known it for years. I doubt you'd find many young high school kids willing to join a corps that looks and sounds like the ones from yesteryear, especially since there are so many who aspire to get into the activity of DCI as we know it, not DCI as we KNEW it.

How do you know this for a fact? Maybe there are many, many, individuals out there that don't audition because they do not have the physical ability to march todays top notch drill, but have the musical playing ability. Not to mention the high entry fees. Maybe there are thousands of kids out there that could physically handle a military style rather than todays style of drill.

1.) Someone mentioned DCI servicing a subset of corps possibly touring only on weekends, etc. Why would they do that? Unless there was money to be made. DCI is the member corps. Unless there were a competitive advantage or some other benefit why would they?

2.) Webcasts are nice but...

3.) BOA merger.

4.) Maybe someday if the demand is enough more local or smaller corps might talk DCA into a Jr division.

1.) Why would they do that, indeed? I don't see DCI doing such a thing--non-profit mentality, again. This could be a very lucrative thing if done right. But that takes forward thinking. Maybe in a few years, but if #3 happens first then #1 doesn't happen!

2.) Webcasts are nice but...what??? Google, my friend. youtube is poised to take over the world with Pinkie and the Brain...logical leap...hope you all caught that.

3.) God, I hope not.

4.) Maybe someday if DCA saw the opportunity before itself it would alter its model slightly and launch such a thing...lots of good names there already, as well as a stellar bunch of old folks willing to dedicate life and limb, blood, sweat and tears to launch it! And when #3 happens, it could take off! Again, forward thinking required.

edit: couple more thoughts. DCA already has Scott Stewart. Kind of ironic, if you think about it. Scott left and his vision for DCI with him. If DCI goes away, devoured by BOA, and DCA follows something similar to what Scott envisioned for DCI...just a thought. Ironic. He who laughs last laughs loudest? Lastly, if DCA were to launch some sort of junior division, I would say it needs to be something more all summer in nature, though regional could be the wisest way to make that happen. Its just, most people who want to do DCI don't want to do just weekends plus a few evening rehearsals. Again, the 70's are dead...let them RIP. OK, now THIS is the last thing: Revenue sharing! Makes the KC Royals profitable! Canadian hockey teams, too! DCI needs to do this. Only problem is having revenue to share. See my other comments elsewhere, and stay tuned.

Good thoughts all around. See? Like I said, get off Hrothgar and address his topic. Others are adding pretty significant thoughts. Perhaps you should, too. Or go bash me in my "What is PR doing?" thread.

Edited by silvertrombone

Someday when he marches, he'll stop caring like he does. Until then, DCP will have to deal with silly things like this.

Drum corps is providing the experience of a lifetime to thousands of willing individuals every year. There is no need to cater to the LEAST important aspect of drum corps (the style of show).

Yeah. Stuff like this makes me never, ever want to march.

How do you know this for a fact? Maybe there are many, many, individuals out there that don't audition because they do not have the physical ability to march todays top notch drill, but have the musical playing ability. Not to mention the high entry fees. Maybe there are thousands of kids out there that could physically handle a military style rather than todays style of drill.

I dont know it for a fact... but thats why we have open class corps. They're easier shows... but, and this is my opinion, open class isnt exactly thriving.

Also, a lot of people dont audition for open class after getting cut... why? because they want the prestiege of being in a world class corps of their choice. If people wanted to march in easier, less costly programs, they could go there.. but they dont. Why would a brand new circuit of something that vaguely resembles the shows they see and are inspired by (assuming it was military style, as you said) be any different?

Edited by FieldofBlueDreams

Also, a lot of people dont audition for open class after getting cut... why? because they want the prestiege of being in a world class corps of their choice. If people wanted to march in easier, less costly programs, they could go there.. but they dont.

I've started posts questioning why people don't go out for Open Class after getting cut. Some said they wanted to be with a top corps only. Other have said that the overall cost (travel, etc) wasn't that far off from what a top corps cost so it wasn't worth the money. FWIW, more people cited cost....

Tried looking for my thread but it's so buried it must be too old to be of use in 2007....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

so dont...? this activity is not meant to please just you.

You are missing the point he was making.... or actually reinforcing it

He is saying that when people act like ######-bags to him because A) he hasn't marched yet and/or B) they don't agree with some of his opinions that makes him not make him want march at all.

With some of the comments to him on this thread I could hardly blame him for feeling that way either. Would you want to do something where it seems like everyone is an elitist tool bag?

You are a hoot young man.

You really do need to march in a corps and experience life in the activity beyond what's posted on this board.

The opinions expressed by these individuals, although very passionate and often times articulate, are not indicative of the majority of young men & women who participate in drum corps today. What's the evidence? They are auditioning in record numbers and having experiences that will last them a lifetime. Making friends and performing - not waxing vindictive over the state of drum corps. Get out out there son & march. Maybe if you are lucky you will get a chance to spend a long bus ride beside some nice girl (or boy depending on your preference). It just may change your life. Then, instead of debating which corps may or may not use narration or amplification of front ensemble equipment, you may actually have a social engagement.

There is a lot more to life than preserving the past. It is called the present and the future.

Thanks for your attention - you may return to your previously schedule soapbox and lament the loss of the inspection line and unit penalties.

Someone's a little angry. All the dude did was ask a question. Who is really on a soapbox?

...If people wanted to march in easier, less costly programs, they could go there.. but they dont. Why would a brand new circuit of something that vaguely resembles the shows they see and are inspired by (assuming it was military style, as you said) be any different?

I keep reading on DCP about how well high school marching bands are doing in many areas (even if some of them do pay pretty high fees...another thread...).

So - many MANY kids DO participate in less-than-World-Class marching groups - but not in DCI Open Class. That's in part because some appear to feel that Open Class is (in all relevant ways) second-best as compared to World-Class (a shame - but it's obvious why that happens)

And many kids (marching band or not), including MANY that don't even audition, are susceptible to the pull of all-brass-plus-rudimental-drumline...because DC has historically been inherently more exciting than marching band...which is what fueled DCI's rise to prominence...

So, I'd say the argument falls the other way:

Circuits (that don't hold up DCI as the highest expression of DC) that encourage and showcase traditional drum and bugle corps in competition and which don't require the highest-level of money and time commitment by the kids, can definitely be successful.

After a maturation process - the best corps from those traditional circuits will be marching shows that (crowd GE-wise) will be more than a match for anything put on by the DCI-BOA things...

Edited by GuyW