Best type of shoe for summer tour?

So, what (by your experience) is the best shoe to wear for summer tour? Having gone once, I feel that this past season officially ended the life of my old Adidas shoes from sophomore year in high school, and after reading around, seems everyone has their niche.

Cavaliers (based on the World Champion of the Day thing) really dig New Balance. Some columnist on DCI's webpage had a column about the Nike Free shoes that came out. Considering I have three seasons left, I'm just wondering everyone else's thoughts on the matter so I might know where to go poking around for the fastest results (and best) pair.

Edited by HashBrownJM

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adored Adidas. Absolutely ADORED them. In the early drill season we marched on blacktop. During that time I wore Climacool Cyclones. Extremely well ventilated shoes. Plenty of support for pavement, and long wearing soles.

Later in the season on grass I switched to Adidas Adizero LT 2. Very lightweight racing flats. About 8 ounces a piece they do skimp on alot of things. Being on grass at that point cushioning was less critical, and dealing with resistance now I wanted a light shoe. They were durable, and stood up very well to the daily pounding.

The big point in finding good shoes is to know your body type, arch type, and running style. I'm a human greyhound, 6'2", 145 lbs, tall arches, and run in a position referred to as 'biometrically correct'. With custom insoles that fit my arches, those two pairs of shoes were comfortable enough for all day. So take the time to figure some details out, and you will find better shoes every time. Another big tip: When you try shoes out wear both. March a little, jog a little. Looks weird but it's the best way to fully assess a shoe's qualities. I was a bit obsessive last summer regarding my shoes. (refer to the essay I posted here last year) In the end it all paid off. My feet were happy, and I had a much more comfortable summer as a result.

new balance cross trainers are amazing. if you want a running shoe, anything by adidas or saucony are great!

just do not screw yourself... spend money on a great pair shoes which wont cause you any problems...

my first year marching i thought i could get by with a cheap $40 pair of running shoes........ the first month of tour was horrible... it hurt to walk, i got blisters everywhere, my toes were getting crammed, my ankles were sore....

the first chance i had, i laid down $90 for a pair of new balance... i could not believe what i had put myself through.. the difference was unbelievable!

i know its a good deal of money, bu is definitely worth it to buy solid shoes

all 3 summers I've marched, it's been New Balance all the WAY.

Durable shoes that breath well.

i have always had New Balance. great shoes. wore them down a good bit though. i can scratch my foot without taking my shoe off now :rolleyes:

this might just be me, but i tried the new balances one summer and they tore up my achilles and ankle. anyway, i tried tape and stuff but it was rubbing the skin down to blood so i had to made the switch to asics. i was most successful with asics and nike (even though nike can make some very low quality shoes)...