Academy and Spirit

The number management thing, I understand why it is there and it makes sense, but is is an interesting way of looking at things...how different would things be if your score got locked in based on how you finished the season, but your placement didn't? So if a corps made it to semis and got a lower score than the corps who didn't make semis, then the scores stay but the placements wouldn't.

I just think it would promote more consistency in judging night to night. Not saying it's a good idea, but interesting....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, lowering the 12th place corps' score at Finals to at or below the 13th place corps' semis score is done deliberately. This way there is something to argue all winter about on DCP (Academy got SCREWED!!) :thumbup:

The number management thing, I understand why it is there and it makes sense, but is is an interesting way of looking at things...how different would things be if your score got locked in based on how you finished the season, but your placement didn't? So if a corps made it to semis and got a lower score than the corps who didn't make semis, then the scores stay but the placements wouldn't.

I just think it would promote more consistency in judging night to night. Not saying it's a good idea, but interesting....

That would be like saying a team that loses in the first round of NFL playoffs but scores 28 points should get the win the next week because the team they lost to last week only score 10 points.

Semi's is a show to determine which 12 corps move on and compete for the top 12 spots. if you get 13th or lower in semi's then you didn't earn the right to place 12th or higher.

The same can be said for spirit in 2004. The corps scored an 86.3 semis and missed final by .075, which i think makes it the highest scoring 13th place show, but i am not sure. Finals night glassmen scored an 85.95. Spirit ended the season with a higher score than glassmen, but it was on a different night. Glassmen were 12th in 2004, Spirit was 13th.

We've had 36 World Championships.

Of those 36, the score for the 12th place corps dropped from semis to finals every year except for 2 years...Colts in 1999 and Spirit in 2005.

Of those 36, the most impressive difference was in 1977, when Kingsmen's 14th place score of 82.75 would have landed them 7th place in finals (there was a tie for 12th, thus no 13th place in semis). Honorable mention...Troopers in 1976 scored 82.75 for 13th in semis but would have netted them an 8th place in finals.

Of those 36, only 9 years would the score from the 13th place corps in semis not have beaten at least the lowest score on finals night (82, 95, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 05, and 06). And again, out of those 9 years, the scores for 12th place dropped every year from semis to finals with the exception of 99 and 05.

And in 2007, Academy's score of 84.50 tied Spirit's 12th place score from finals.

FYI...

The same can be said for spirit in 2004. The corps scored an 86.3 semis and missed final by .075, which i think makes it the highest scoring 13th place show, but i am not sure.

Actually, Dutch Boy holds the record for the highest 13th place score, but only by a hair. They scored a 86.4 in 1988.

This is why I think they should get rid of slotting. Is there anybody who will try to tell me that 12th-place corps have a big finals letdown?? Hello!? After the chase for 12th that we saw last summer? I'm pretty sure that Spirit was jazzed just to be there Saturday night. Colts and Gmen had moved up a bit, but they were pretty pleased just to have the one last performancce, I'm sure. Great corps/shows, all! Best segment of the activity last year in terms of unpredictability and night-to-night results.

If you get rid of slotting I believe that you would see more corps above 95 and higher scores in general in the future b/c they keep getting better. It would be great to see more skipping around and movement 1/4's to semi's to finals. 8th to 4th to 6th. 9th to 14th and missing out on finals. 16th to 12th to 11th. etc. Three different corps winning 1/4's, semi's and finals, all above 98 finals night and all within 0.3.

Slotting means that you'll have someone around 98, someone around 97, someone around 96. If they're all just incredible you might get an 06 where three corps are within 0.8 right around 97.0. Now THAT'S exciting!

Imagine all corps above 90.0. And so forth.

Academy and Spirit were both awesome and it was fun watching from a distance! One of the most exciting all-season-long battles. Academy in 10th at SA, Spirit in finals in Pasadena!

As for semi's to finals scoring...two different shows, scores thrown out after semis.

It's not that unusual to see the scores drop on finals night. Those corps near the spot tend to play with teh necessary competitive control to score high enough to make it into finals....but if they DO squeak in, they can let it all hang out ON finals day....they can't go any lower in placement, after all.

They sometimes may not perform as perfect as Friday night, so the score dips....but it's more fun for the audience to be on the receiving end!

I'd love to see a 12th place corps actually rock out on Finals night. Never seen it happen, although I didn't see 1993 Colts or 2003 Spirit on Saturday.