Virginia Auditions?

see i wouldnt mind carpooling but i dont know where/how to find one, i just dont wanna message someone on here and be like hey can i ride with you even though im a complete stranger and lol so i tend to enlarge things that really arent haha i was just going off memory but they wouldnt mind me traveling the country its just that i cant drive up there by myself and they wouldnt have a problem with me goin i just cant drive that far by myself and its not that they dont want me to march its just that there to lazy to drive me

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how a lot of people get to camp! You're going to be spending the weekend with a bunch of strangers anyway. I can assure you that most people wouldn't mind having someone ride with them, especially if you chip in for gas. If you don't want to individually message people, post something and let people contact you. If you want to get there, you'll get yourself there. Heck, there's even the bus, but that's gonna take a lot longer than just riding with someone.

see i wouldnt mind carpooling but i dont know where/how to find one, i just dont wanna message someone on here and be like hey can i ride with you even though im a complete stranger and lol so i tend to enlarge things that really arent haha i was just going off memory but they wouldnt mind me traveling the country its just that i cant drive up there by myself and they wouldnt have a problem with me goin i just cant drive that far by myself and its not that they dont want me to march its just that there to lazy to drive me

You really are lucky in the sense that you have a lot more options in terms of where you can march since you're relatively close to a lot of places. A lot of people do have to fly to get to and from camps, and a 4 hour drive isn't that bad.

And take this with a grain of salt, but how are you going to manage showering in front of a bunch of people you've never met if you're feeling awkward about asking someone to carpool to camp with you. :thumbup:

Ok, I live in Virginia and yet there are no corps around the 2 closest are Jersey Surt about a 10 hour drive and Carolina Crown about a day drive. I was just wondering why dont corps consider having there auditions in there home states and then an audition in states that dont have corps in them. I mean just think....theres all this Virginia,NC,West Virginia talent not being used because we cant drive up to Jersey Surf or Carolina Crown for every camp. I mean i know some phenomal wind players and amazing guard people!!! Yet none of them march DCI cuz we cant afford to drive so far! Well just thought id see what everyone else thought about this and im not saying that its just Virginia but theres other states that have amazing talent not being used because we cant travel that far. I mean a 3 or 4 hour drive isnt that bad but i cant drive 2 states south or drive all the way to the other side of virginia for a day and buy gas, audition fees, and stuff. well just thought id see what yall thought!

Hmmm, wish we were that close. 2005, it was a 650 mile trip each way to San Antonio. Last year, it was 650 miles each way to Minneapolis. This year, it is 665 miles each way to Indy. BUT, it's worth the trip each and every time!

where exactly do you live in Virginia?

I used to live in Hampton, and it took 6 hours to get to Jersey, and about 7 and a half to get to where I live in SC now (about 15 minutes away from Crown.)

I don't think you're quite as far as you think.

~>conner

I live in Williamsburg, and it only took about 6 or 7 hours to get to Jersey Surf. I would offer to carpool but I don't have a car, so I'm taking trains/busses to most of the camps. You can look into that option and that will probably be about 8 or 9 hours. The December camp for Surf got pushed back to this weekend, so if you can get a way up there, I'm sure they'd love another tuba player. Good luck w/ marching somewhere.

P.S. I agree that Virginia should have a junior corps of its own or at least auditions for another corps. For someone like me who's in college, the 7 or 8 hour trip to either Surf or Crown is managable, but it would be great to have a closer alternative for a lot of the talented high schoolers in the state...

I marched from 1987-1991 with the Bluecoats while living in Northern Virginia and commuted to Canton, Ohio for every camp along with a couple of other members. And my roommate and friend traveled up to Garfield/Cadets camp as well. It took less than 6 hours to reach Canton for us.

It was worth every second of the drive!!

Cadets would be closer than Jersey Surf

I think Cadets are a little further than Surf. But not much of a difference to make a big deal out of. I mean I live right around the corner from where Surf rehearses, but I guess it depends on the traffic through Philly

Edited by cone256

I think Cadets are a little further than Surf. But not much of a difference to make a big deal out of. I mean I live right around the corner from where Surf rehearses, but I guess it depends on the traffic through Philly

Cadets rehearse in Pennsville, NJ. Right across the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

About 40 minutes closer to Richmond than Sicklerville, NJ.

Neither one requires going through Philly.

To the OP. You have terrible sense of how long it takes to drive somewhere.

You are about 4 hours from Cadets and 5 from Crown or Surf