Virginia Auditions?

Corps, even when setting up auditions out-of-state, are going to go where they perceive the most numbers of potential talent is. There are many states to which they can go and it must be tricky figuring out how to get the most bang for the buck. A while back, someone from Michigan made the same suggestion for auditions in their home state.

Corps could have auditions in many more states, but if they get what they need in a small handful of states and are still turning away scores of auditionees, it's not much of an incentive to go to a new state.

Many auditions were set up through local band directors with corps affiliations. They invite a corps to come in and use their facility. I strongly suggest asking local band directors who are corps fans if they would consider this. If you find a taker, then have them put out the word to various corps and see if anyone bites.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well its nice to meet you period................ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . ................................... . ....................... . Here id like for you to meet a friend of mine its actually my cousin........... . . . . .. ... .. . . . . .. .His name is Manners I thought this was a forum for discussing DCI not for recieving insults about not using a stupid period

It is difficult to discuss DCI when you are unable to comprehend what someone is saying because of a poor use of the English language.

I'm not trying to be an ### (it just comes natural :P )but just because you are on the internet doesn't mean you should go out of your way to ignore everything you know about making your writing comprehensible. If people can understand your questions quickly and easily they are more likely to respond.

I remember that.

But to the young student in question, Greyhound, Trailways and Amtrak are all cheaper then flying by a lot. Of course they are all a little inconvenient and impersonal, but nonetheless, they are all available to you.

I teach Pioneer...they have a program for Sponsorship (that works very well) that you should look into. It is on the website...http://www.pioneer-corps.org.

My son also marches where I teach, and he handed out these forms and now the majority of his dues are already paid for. He asked for flights as Christmas presents, so for the next few camps he has a way to the camps from upstate NY. To drive is about 12 hours...but for the first camp, he took the train. You sleep most of the way, and get accustomed to what the summer is going to be like anyway.

Ask for flights for Christmas. It is not too late to book January flights.

Donny

double post (sorry)

Edited by donnymusic

I love Surf, but remember they are weekend only. Driving to a few camps then jumping on a tour bus is a little different than driving to camp every month, then continuing to drive to corps every weekend all summer. Just food for thought. They might have summer host family program, they always had families step up to the plate when I was there.

To the OP: Call or email the corps for a ride share. Maybe you can drive part way and meet up with a car pool. As far as not wanting to ride with strangers or shower with strangers.......if you make a corps please meet your 149 new best friends that you will be riding and showering with 24/7.

its just the fact saying hey can i take a 7 hour drive with you? lol idk about you but i would be kinda wierded out i mean id like to talk to them on the phone at least get what im saying?

In December of 1993 I heard about this kid who needed a ride to the camp. I pulled up to his house, he got in the car, we had our introductions, and then we headed off on our 6 hour drive. Fast forward 14 years to December 2007 and I still hang out with the guy regularly.

It's unfortunate there's nothing in Virginia, but we do ok. As others have said, you are closer than you think to Surf and Cadets and Crown. If your parents won't let you drive that far (which I agree with them), you might have to wait a couple years, which although not the best, is not the end of the world. There's a lot of untapped (drum corps wise) high school music talent in Virginia, especially in the Northern VA area. Crossmen almost moved there, but as you know, they're in Texas now instead.

I know that there are people in Virginia who march at Cadets and Crown, and I would put money on it that there are Surf people as well. There are also people who march Cavies, and Bluecoats... and I might know of a couple at Phantom Regiment.

Do any of you Texans still drive up to Rockford? Geez, 10 hours is just past St Louis from Dallas if memory serves me correctly. Houston, just this side of SL from what I heard. Those guys are real Hoss'es!

Fly if you've got the money, cuz if you drive there, you have to get beat up all weekend then drive all the way back.

And the person who said take a buddy was right. Even if they aren't marching. They'll have a good time seeing what's going on, you'll enjoy the bonding experience with a friend, and you'll make it back in one piece--always good to make it home.

I love Surf, but remember they are weekend only. Driving to a few camps then jumping on a tour bus is a little different than driving to camp every month, then continuing to drive to corps every weekend all summer. Just food for thought. They might have summer host family program, they always had families step up to the plate when I was there.

To the OP: Call or email the corps for a ride share. Maybe you can drive part way and meet up with a car pool. As far as not wanting to ride with strangers or shower with strangers.......if you make a corps please meet your 149 new best friends that you will be riding and showering with 24/7.

Yeah, no kidding! Today's stranger and the guy you despise most on tour will be the guy you have an instant rapport with in 20 years. I've heard some strange stories about how we run into people we marched with years ago in far-off places.

And the showers...it's not like everyone is in there scoping out each other. Something about carrying a baritone lathered up with polish to turn off any of those tendencies, anyways. Don't worry.