Plagerization of Drum Corps

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stole" is pretty harsh. Here in Erie we simply title our show " A Tribute To (insert name)" :sad:

Hey if it's good it's good.... :thumbup:

Come to think of it both Mighty St Joes and Hanover start their show with "Georgia on My Mind" which sounds a LOT like the version a certain SE corps did in the late 70s. The chart I have has the notation "with a nod from Ott" in the upper right corner. :blink:

IMO - I don't mind hearing a DCA corps playing whatever a DCI corps played years ago. It's interesting to see if they match up to it (which is what really happens - we compare). I think Brigs did it best in 2003, not that I liked that show, but they did it extremely well. Hawthorne tried it in 2002 with their tribute to Muchachos and they couldn't even come close, so you can see how it effects 2 different corps.

Almost all corps play something that someone else has already played....big deal. I just can't stand when a corp plays the same songs that they've played for the past 30 yrs. (except for a signature song). People do get sick of hearing it again and again, and again, blah, blah, blah.

Erie has the right idea, just call it a tribute to (insert name). I remember seeing Erie at the I/E in 98 or 99 (can't remember which one - in Allentown), and they did a tribute to both Hawthorne and Skyliners that tore the audience up that night. Still one of my favorite shows at DCA, great playing and great reaction from the crowd! (Just change the tribute every couple of years).

At least I can recognize some of the tunes.

BLUE ERA!!! BLUE. BLUE. BLUE ERA!!! BAH BAH BAH BLUE ERA!!!

Great performance, great corps... but when I hear it I think of nothing else but a complete rip off of Vanguard 2001 and lack of creatitivity...

and

I am pretty sure this is the exact show that prompted the topic but nobody brought it up.

Again, very well executed show... just taking something so disctinctly someone elses is just kinda wrong to me.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that New Era Dance was commissioned by Vanguard for their exclusive performance. But then again, you could probably point to your own corps the last two years and find similar "thievery" (A Mis Abuelos, Malaga, Coquistador, Free). Or the corps of the chief complaintant on this topic...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out the absurdity of the argument.

The fact is that unless the corps played an original composition, or played a radically creative arrangement of a composition, there really is no complaint. At least not a valid one, anyway. The Buccaneers in particular are very, very good about their arrangements...the pieces they play are either far different from what other corps have done, or are nothing more than transcriptions of the original piece.

IMO - I don't mind hearing a DCA corps playing whatever a DCI corps played years ago. It's interesting to see if they match up to it (which is what really happens - we compare). I think Brigs did it best in 2003, not that I liked that show, but they did it extremely well. Hawthorne tried it in 2002 with their tribute to Muchachos and they couldn't even come close, so you can see how it effects 2 different corps.

Almost all corps play something that someone else has already played....big deal. I just can't stand when a corp plays the same songs that they've played for the past 30 yrs. (except for a signature song). People do get sick of hearing it again and again, and again, blah, blah, blah.

Erie has the right idea, just call it a tribute to (insert name). I remember seeing Erie at the I/E in 98 or 99 (can't remember which one - in Allentown), and they did a tribute to both Hawthorne and Skyliners that tore the audience up that night. Still one of my favorite shows at DCA, great playing and great reaction from the crowd! (Just change the tribute every couple of years).

At least I can recognize some of the tunes.

That was 98. A Tribute to SKY. Given the minicorps' venue in Allentown "Traffic Jam" seemed to be a perfect fit. We had a blast. The Cabs music was an Encore. Nice that you remember. Thanks.

dang dupes.

Edited by CVQuesty

Look again. I'm not getting into a debate of whether its write or wrong. I just didn't agree with what he said!

I would like to know if others agree or disagree with a proposal to discourage plagerization in Drum Corps?

But maybe a law should be implemented that would govern and levy penalties against those who would openly "steal" anotherDrumCorps/Percussion ensemble/Marching Bands ideas.....

I would argue in the case of the Brigs that since Wayne Downey was intimately involved in BOTH BD and the Brigs that there is no plagiarism involved whatsoever. The same writer, two different corps.

Now, originality of the program itself is an entirely different debate, but it's not what was asked.

It's a good thing the original person who started this topic didn't plagiarize the the correct spelling of plagiarization or we would have to complain about that too.

"Hey, they ripped off Webster's Dictionary by spelling the word correctly."

Thank you Dave..

Let me clarifiy, I wasn't only suggesting stealing music, I also meant equipment, marching style, colors, bent rifles, running backward, wireless mics and so on.

If I were to invent a new way to entertain on the field, and someone else "improved" it, isn't that plagiarism? and should it be discouraged?

Edited by muzzicman1