• No

Tell us about it!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuba Christmas = Never go.

Sure let's all get in the spirit of christmas playing tuba with lots of other people ranging from the ages of 12 to 63 to Fossil...

But...all the blasting and fart blat tones get annoying :z

Can get quite Bando-Commando also :tongue:

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

I only did the TubaChristmas in Brenham, TX this year - 59 players, mostly from the local college. My friend's double-bell euph was trumped finally as the most unusual instrument - someone actually brought (and played!) an ophocleide!

I usually participate in the Houston TubaChristmas, but this year it fell on our Open House, so we trekked up the road so that we would get our buttons - 13th year now for me, my friend is on something like 22 or so.

There was a nice piece on NPR about TubaChristmas - they haven't got the transcript up yet, but you can listen to the audio.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=17525045

Edited by nukeme70

I recently moved, and was unable to locate an event near me. Boo. I did do it 04-06 in Freeport Maine. Arguably the coldest Tuba Christmas. :tongue:

Looks like the two closest to you are Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC, both about an hour and a half away. Something to keep in mind for next year.

I did Tuba Christmas in Austin yesterday on the steps of the state capitol with 162 others.

Hadn't done Tuba Christmas since 2001 because it can be boring. I have participated in 12 since my first in 1985- in Houston, Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, DC and Newport News, VA.

I don't remember what year it was, but I was at the rehearsal in DC and was wearing my Texas Lutheran College sweatshirt. This guy sitting next to me says, "Remind me where that is." We start talking and he says that his wife is a dean at A&M, I ask which college, and he says Education. Hey, my dad is Dean of Education at the University of Houston I tell him. He asks what my father's name is, I tell him, and he looks at me and says, "David??" Turns out he was an old friend of the family and hadn't seen me since I was a small boy. How wild is that??