Do corps work harder these days, or just smarter?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sully rarely gave us water breaks this year. Two or three for a four-hour block if we were lucky. I remember just getting one a number of times though.

That's ridiculous. Good thing y'all got rid of him.

I always got the feeling that some drum corps do things the way they do just because "it's drum corps, and that's how you do things in drum corps". Horn ripples, meticulously-stacked horns, physical punishment for mistakes (running to a tree, pushups, etc.) are all a waste of time, IMO.

Never once did a gush 'n' go. Regarding the TOC, I remember trying to get a drink and hit the bathroom real quick during a "water break", then being late back to rehearsal because the guy who was running rehearsal (I wanna say it was a Phantom dude) cut the break so short.

I always got the feeling that some drum corps do things the way they do just because "it's drum corps, and that's how you do things in drum corps". Horn ripples, meticulously-stacked horns, physical punishment for mistakes (running to a tree, pushups, etc.) are all a waste of time, IMO.

agreed, somewhat at least. I think horn ripples look awesome, and maybe only take an extra second. Stacked horns... I agree, but I think if you are storing them where they are visible, they should be nice. Whenever we stacked some place like the gym, I would always leave it at my bed. Punishments that get you running should probably be over by a week or so into tour. By then you shouldn't be making mistakes that are that big. Before then I think of it as a way to 1. say you shouldn't have made that mistake, and 2. build endurance. Push-ups are generally given by the members to themselves in my experience. When people make a mistake, they drop (if there's a chance before the next rep).

I definitely agree that somethings are done just b/c it's drum corps though... for better or worse. :satisfied:

They are working smarter. Also, the members come to the corps better prepared.

That's ridiculous. Good thing y'all got rid of him.

Never once did a gush 'n' go. Regarding the TOC, I remember trying to get a drink and hit the bathroom real quick during a "water break", then being late back to rehearsal because the guy who was running rehearsal (I wanna say it was a Phantom dude) cut the break so short.

Heh...

Good 'Ol Sully

towords the end of the season he became more generous ^.^

That and I think the staff got on to him - But it dosn't matter, cause he's still sully..

"Everyone raise your right hand and repeat after me....

I swear...to keep my ________ feet in time"

Use your own choice words, and add -ing to the end

:D!

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

sounds about right...

This is a good topic. I think most of the upper tier corps are certainly working smarter for sure, although there are still those instructors (especially in visual it seems) who feel that running people into the ground gains results. For example, I watched a visual block last summer of an upper tier corps, first day of spring training, when a visual tech ran the battery through a very rigorous basics block. At the end of the block, his methods had caused three fairly serious injuries, preventing members from learning drill for several days. Not very smart in my opinion. I've always been impressed with the Cavaliers overall approach, with a fair amount of downtime and proper rest. Their results speak for themselves. There's a new book out titled, "The Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin (Searching for Bobby Fisher ......Chess and Tai Chi fame) that points out this very technique of using downtime and periods of relaxation before peak performance. It's a great book for anyone who strives for gaining the "flow", and being in the zone of peak performance, regardless of the genre. The frequent water breaks the OP made mention of are a good example of this technique. ( IF.... IF the members aren't made to run back and forth and get only 30 seconds, then it becomes a self defeating practice) Yes, it's all about working smart. Here's a link to an interview with Josh about his book.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

This is a good topic. I think most of the upper tier corps are certainly working smarter for sure, although there are still those instructors (especially in visual it seems) who feel that running people into the ground gains results.

This.

It always seems the visual guys are the ones with the "Arrrgg! DRUMCORPS!" mentality that is so destructive to a corps' education and performance ability.

Edited by Jayzer