Repertoires

This topic came to me from another thread. I began to wonder…

For instance, in 1970 the CMCC Warriors played ten songs during their show.

Blue Rock that same year had I think ten and the Boston Crusaders a whopping fourteen!

Of course that's when shows were up to 12 minutes long.

No wonder there were ambulances on stand by during July and August.

We were exhausted!

Puppet

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Rock that same year had I think ten and the Boston Crusaders a whopping fourteen!

We were exhausted!

Puppet

My corps only played six or seven songs, but I there was a lead french horn player in my squad that would pass out after about 80% of the shows in July and August.

Many corps from the 1950s and early 1960s did snippets from as many as 20 or 25 different songs in their field shows.

About 20 years ago I did a series of articles for Drum Corps World on the diverse music in some corps repertoires. I called it "Châteaubriand & Popsicles". One of the corps back in the 1950s performed the song "Mr. Touchdown USA" immediately followed by "The Lord's Prayer".

You'd often see a classical/religious piece played alongside the theme from a cartoon, etc. Lots of fun.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Many corps from the 1950s and early 1960s did snippets from as many as 20 or 25 different songs in their field shows.

About 20 years ago I did a series of articles for Drum Corps World on the diverse music in some corps repertoires. I called it "Châteaubriand & Popsicles". One of the corps back in the 1950s performed the song "Mr. Touchdown USA" immediately followed by "The Lord's Prayer".

You'd often see a classical/religious piece played alongside the theme from a cartoon, etc. Lots of fun.

:whistle:

Brian - you may recall when MBI did their 50th Anniversary show in '96, and the 'closer' was a medley of 21 or 22 parts of tunes they had played over the 50 years. Add to that the 2 other tunes..that 24 in all..a tidy little number for one show..

Pat

We were exhausted!

Puppet

Let's see...our 71 show consisted of at least this...

Yankee Doodle

Chaconne from the Holst Suite in Eb

Hoedown

Greensleeves

Taps

Cruel War

Chester

Ives' "Variations on America"

Battle Hymn

A fife and drum piece I can't remember the name of

Profiles in Courage

Remember Canada's Marching Ambassadors? I think they played a different tune about every 30 seconds

You're absolutely correct about the Marching Ambassadors.

Here's what they played in '64:

El Conquistador, O Solo Mio, Canadian Sunset, Irish Washerwoman, Slaughter On 10th Avenue, Procession Of The Sardar, Brazil, Take The 'A' Train, Bugler's Holiday, Let's Get Away From It All, Around The World, The Stripper, Woodchopper's Ball, Sukiyaki, You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To

That was about normal for them. Each year they did around a dozen tunes on the field.

You're absolutely correct about the Marching Ambassadors.

Here's what they played in '64:

El Conquistador, O Solo Mio, Canadian Sunset, Irish Washerwoman, Slaughter On 10th Avenue, Procession Of The Sardar, Brazil, Take The 'A' Train, Bugler's Holiday, Let's Get Away From It All, Around The World, The Stripper, Woodchopper's Ball, Sukiyaki, You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To

That was about normal for them. Each year they did around a dozen tunes on the field.

There's actually a theme there - a trip around the world! (Although the travel agent should be spanked for the order of the itinerary!) :tongue: