Performance or Rehearsal

Doing two performances in one day never really phased me. After marching in a corps knocked out after the afternoon show both times in '05, I saw the evening show as a blessing in '06. I was actually thrilled that I had an hour and a half to eat the food provided by DCI and put back on my uniform (the curse of 12th place!).

I think the worst times this year were the times between our afternoon performance and the announcement of scores. Unlike '06, the gamble of not making the night show made the situation more stressful. I don't think I ever doubted not making the night show in '06. In '07, finding out we didn't make the night show in San Antonio was kind of scary. I got over it quickly because I had a great show that day, but I think a lot of people in the corps took it pretty hard.

Overall, I know that during tour I dread rehearsal days, but I also have to stand back and realize those are the days when the corps can get a lot, lot better. Treating rehearsal like your performance is critical because then you become consistent with what you're doing. I don't know why I didn't really "get it" until this year. Consistency is what I will always strive for.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

performances are definitely more fun as they are happening, but the feeling you get after a rehearsal day or two when you can see how much youve fixed with that work is pretty fun as well

I forget who origanally said it, but I'll throw the quote out there anyway :

"The Romans are assured of victory, for their exercises are battles without bloodshed - their battles bloody exercises".

For me, rehearsals nearing the end of the season were always the most difficult. Not so much by the way the rehearsals were being run but its when I realized that my summer was almost over and I would never march with the same group of people ever again. Its mind boggling.

Performances were never stressful. Regardless if we were expected to win, not sure if we would win, or were expected to lose, we always went for blood with our performances. We always felt we would win but were never afraid of making mistakes.

I think the competitive aspect for us really came out during rehearsals. We really nitpicked the details to death during rehearsals.

Performances were never stressful. Regardless if we were expected to win, not sure if we would win, or were expected to lose, we always went for blood with our performances. We always felt we would win but were never afraid of making mistakes.

I think the competitive aspect for us really came out during rehearsals. We really nitpicked the details to death during rehearsals.

And that was shared equally between the staff as the members, as I recall.

Ahh...the memories....march a few sets....dress the set...relax....while the staff's talking things over, any number of people drop and push out 10 or so 'shups and are done and ready to go before the staff finishes!

We really DID self-discipline, no matter what non-BD vets may think!

Rehearsals were more stressful by far. However, long warm-ups before shows are the worst ideas ever. So I understand the people who think shows are worse. I never liked doing two shows in one day. The thing was, we still rehearsed and did a run-through the morning of, and then did the first show, and then the second. It got pretty tiring by the end. But the worst thing by far was the second warm up. Taxing beyond belief. I will never really like Rome, NY for that one reason.

performances were kind of the only thing that made it all worth it. no stress, just another day...well, night in the office. rehearsals were painstaking, grueling, and so exhausting. rehearsal days.. ugh! especially the ones where you did 2-3 runthroughs over the course of 10-12 hrs.

Thats a hard question to answer! But if i had to take a shot at it I would say they are both equal. Our staff made sure to make the point that you should never do anything different in a performance. Do not give 110% in a show and not at practice, thats how mistakes are made. For us, practice was simply an elongated performance and by finals i honestly didn't think about the performance aspect, everything seems to melt together. I was almost a robot! :)