Serenade in Brass 2008

I know the flyer is due out at the end of January, but I heard a rumor that the Royal Airs might be on the bill for the Forum this year.

Anybody have any news or unsubstatiated rumors, such as mine?

That show is such a good time!

I just spoke with the Corps Director of the Chicago Royal Airs, Jim Grothman, regarding this. With the very recent influx of members from the Men of Brass back into the RA, they have decided to take a pass on being there this year as they had hoped, but are planning on being there in 2009. Being someone who was there playing Truman Crawford's music, ALL of their shows from 2002 to 2005, were certainly a "good time"!!! :worthy:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! I'm bringing ear plugs. :tic:

The Cabs' horn and drum lines are again larger that the previous year. The contra line alone could be up to 12 by then. Definitely bring the earplugs, cause you're gonna need 'em, GUARANTEED!!!!!!! :worthy:

Those entering as Posthumous are:

Irv Hurt

Rick Jackson

Those entering at our Associate Level are:

Cliff Brandt

Tracy L. Dell

Jim Fawber

Lisa Menear

Those entering at our Full Member Level are:

Thomas Ashby

Joseph Ludwith

Thomas Siegfried

And those entering at our Lifetime Level are:

Richard "Dick" Adams

John Arietano

George Christy

Philip DeMara

Don Fenninger

Martin J. Holahan

Harry Hook

David Hurt

Steven "Hairbear" Masters

Sandy McNeal

Loujuae "Jay" McPherson

Richard "Dick" Penrod

Jay W. Pius

Terry Prosba

Wally Ream

William "Bill" Reese

Eugene Sharpley

Eric G. Smith

Donald H. Solinger

Gregg Sweeney

Cool! I see you got my bribe, er, uh,... I mean application. :worthy:

A lot of great names, and wow, mine is in there with them. All except maybe Ashby...just kidding, I haven't seen him in ages - what a fun guy.

Buccaneers are well represented, as well as my old Junior corps, the Brookhaven Crusaders.

PADCHOF - what a neat thing that is. Thanks guys.

Cool! I see you got my bribe, er, uh,... I mean application. :worthy:

A lot of great names, and wow, mine is in there with them. All except maybe Ashby...just kidding, I haven't seen him in ages - what a fun guy.

Buccaneers are well represented, as well as my old Junior corps, the Brookhaven Crusaders.

PADCHOF - what a neat thing that is. Thanks guys.

Oh fer petes' sake, I'll get to meet Marty at the breakfast. :worthy:

See one former corps mate and a current one too. :tic:

Yeah surprised how big this years group is, the board had a lot of paperwork to go thru. :tic:

Ditto on the thanks... for two reasons....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Wow..... having the Royal Airs there would be cool!

Fran

A note from Chicago Royal Airs' Board of Directors President Scott Jameson as follows:

We miss you and think it would be way cool too!

We had planned to be in Harrisburg with a Small Corps. However, the reason we won't be there isn't because we've lost ground, but quite the contrary, through quite a bit of soul searching and negotiating, the Royal Airs members who had left to re-create the Men Of Brass have returned to the Royal Airs in an effort to put a corps on the field in 2008. So we are once again growing rapidly in numbers and working like madmen to get everyone to commit to the 2008 season so we can do it again. We are very, VERY close!!

If anyone out there has ever wanted to march with the Royal Airs, we are filling-in the ranks NOW and still have positions open. We have one weekend camp per month. You are required to practice at home in between, you must pay your dues (dirt cheap) to march, and you must purchase a uniform (as low as we could get it). If distance is an issue, talk to us, we may be able to help you ride-share at least a portion of the way, and/or find a place for you to stay when you are in town to help reduce the cost. If you haven't played in a long time, come anyway, we'll help you get back in shape. We did it, you can too! We also need roadies and souvenir help, So if you've got the itch to play drum corps in almost any capacity, we'll make it easy for you. We have the easiest schedule of anyone out there and tie our rehearsal weekends to performances to get the most from a weekend for the out of town folks. But don't wait! We need your commitment NOW, not the week before DCA in Rochester, New York.

We look forward to see you all again as soon as possible. Check the website below for camp and dues info. Hope to see you at the next camp! Go Blue!

Best Regards,

Scott Jameson, BOD President

Royal Airs Drum & Bugle Corps, NFP

bigbluepr@yahoo.com

www.chicagoroyalairs.org

Edited by Vanguard Rich

I know the flyer is due out at the end of January, but I heard a rumor that the Royal Airs might be on the bill for the Forum this year.

Anybody have any news or unsubstatiated rumors, such as mine?

That show is such a good time!

As far as I know the Royal Airs are just doing local parades and stuff in Ill.

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting close. I'm looking forward to it.

Seems like there was more anticipation last year, doesn't it?

Things have cleared up for me and I'm going to be able to perform.

Question for anyone in the area and I'll probably look it up on the web; We're staying over night because of the PADCHOF breakfast Sunday morning at the Crowne Plaza.

Anybody know of an alternative place to get a room that would be close and decent, (sometimes the web ads don't tell the whole story).

Gonna be me, my wife and young son. Crowne Plaza is probably booked already and also I've been there after the show and it isn't really kid friendly. (Believe me, no offense meant to anyone.)

I'm not an expert about the area, Marty, but perhaps others can be more specific for you.

I recall attending John Flowers' Drum Club convention at a very nice hotel just outside the city, near the airport. Can't recall the name, but I know there are several of the various well-known chains in the vicinity. You can probably find something with a Google search or checking the chains' websites. Travel time from the Forum is maybe 10 minutes, at most.

It's getting close. I'm looking forward to it.

Seems like there was more anticipation last year, doesn't it?

Things have cleared up for me and I'm going to be able to perform.

Question for anyone in the area and I'll probably look it up on the web; We're staying over night because of the PADCHOF breakfast Sunday morning at the Crowne Plaza.

Anybody know of an alternative place to get a room that would be close and decent, (sometimes the web ads don't tell the whole story).

Gonna be me, my wife and young son. Crowne Plaza is probably booked already and also I've been there after the show and it isn't really kid friendly. (Believe me, no offense meant to anyone.)

as far as downtown, you have the Hilton and the Crowne. Others are planned, but not up yet. Down along the river i believe is a Comfort Inn. Rough walk as Front Street is high traffic, but a 3 minute drive. Without taking you 20 minutes north or by the airport. There is the Penn Harris Radisson in Camp Hill, about an 8 minute drive away. It's basically in Fawber's backyard so he can get you to and fro.

Casa Ream is booked already