1997 Cadets - Celebration

I love most Cadets shows, and this one too! It's great to listen to in the car actually...the recordings are a bit heavy on the bass that year and it's great to turn it up in the car. Anyway, yay Celebration! Great drumline, a very intense thick book...I don't remember much about the guard actually, except the opening orange flags and the jubilance...purple flags in the ballad but a bit light on the visual impact compared to 98 with those doubled up green flags ALL over the field...and great hornline of course, just too hard for them to get those brass scores up higher...

I think this was the year that April Gilligan started to step away from their guard program.

There is a great deal of difference in the cleanliness between the 1996 Cadets Colorguard and the 1997 version. Though...most corps would be jealous to have either.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 Cadets is a championship caliber show, unfortunately BD also had a championship show and they were ridiculously clean.

I have no clue how the Blue Devils were so clean that year. To this day that rotating box still amazes me. Either way...what the Cadets horn did with that book is amazing. The opening passage seemed a little quiet...but not everything needs to be in your face!!!!

A very tasteful show!!! :rolleyes:

I think this was the year that April Gilligan started to step away from their guard program.

There is a great deal of difference in the cleanliness between the 1996 Cadets Colorguard and the 1997 version. Though...most corps would be jealous to have either.

Yeah that 1996 guard was absolutely amazing and fun to watch. I'd love to see a guard like that from this years version of The Cadets. I loved 97 guard as well, especially at the end of the opener.

I have no clue how the Blue Devils were so clean that year. To this day that rotating box still amazes me. Either way...what the Cadets horn did with that book is amazing. The opening passage seemed a little quiet...but not everything needs to be in your face!!!!

A very tasteful show!!! :rolleyes:

You guys are going to jump on me for saying this but...there hasn't been a "tasteful" Cadets show since 2004.

You guys are going to jump on me for saying this but...there hasn't been a "tasteful" Cadets show since 2004.

This post is very good. It is completely out of date, yet it elegantly reminds anyone who might, god forbid, suddenly forget your position on the last few years and current direction of The Cadets. Excellent.

Yeah that 1996 guard was absolutely amazing and fun to watch. I'd love to see a guard like that from this years version of The Cadets. I loved 97 guard as well, especially at the end of the opener.

Glancing at 2005 Cadets Color Guard, is some absolutely phenomenal stuff. There hasn't been a guard today to do the reflective book like they did in their ballad. You just need to take a look at their poles as they dash across the field to see their excellent understanding of their book and technique. Amazing.

Guards these days, it's much harder to compare to the 1990s, and even 1980 and further back guards. These kids move much more, stand around less, and are more prompt for General Effect rather than pure spinning. It kind of corresponds with the evolution of WGI. Cadets and Blue Devils of the 1990s, whew, those members didn't give a darn, they just spun like crazy. It's now much more mentally crafted, the activity as a whole, especially with the color guard. Staging is absolutely huge these days. While it was stressed in years past, it's much more important factor today. Staging means, much more moving from Point A to Point B. Thus, it's much harder to clean. You don't find a lot of guard features at complete holds anymore (at least not in the top 6 designing).

Glancing at 2005 Cadets Color Guard, is some absolutely phenomenal stuff. There hasn't been a guard today to do the reflective book like they did in their ballad. You just need to take a look at their poles as they dash across the field to see their excellent understanding of their book and technique. Amazing.

Guards these days, it's much harder to compare to the 1990s, and even 1980 and further back guards. These kids move much more, stand around less, and are more prompt for General Effect rather than pure spinning. It kind of corresponds with the evolution of WGI. Cadets and Blue Devils of the 1990s, whew, those members didn't give a darn, they just spun like crazy. It's now much more mentally crafted, the activity as a whole, especially with the color guard. Staging is absolutely huge these days. While it was stressed in years past, it's much more important factor today. Staging means, much more moving from Point A to Point B. Thus, it's much harder to clean. You don't find a lot of guard features at complete holds anymore (at least not in the top 6 designing).

Good point about 2005. That guard was excellent. I don't think we'll see a guard like that anytime soon, though I hope I am wrong.

I feel that '97 Cadets was the first time I saw a full guard rifle toss during the 2nd piece of the show. They nailed it, too, and during a silent moment musically, giving that toss the full focus for that moment of the show. Very effective.

I feel that '97 Cadets was the first time I saw a full guard rifle toss during the 2nd piece of the show. They nailed it, too, and during a silent moment musically, giving that toss the full focus for that moment of the show. Very effective.

Yeah that was one of the greatest parts of the show. Loved hearing the sound of all those rifles hitting their hands once they nailed that toss.