Worst Injury you marched a show with

After the Indy show my ageout year we were rehearsing outside of Charlotte when a few sets into Nutville I feel something give in my left knee. I tried to keep going but after nearly collapsing on the way to the next set I had to limp off the field. I managed to keep going through the rest of the season (with the help of my good friend Hydrocodone) although I really had to fight to make it though practice. End result: I tore the meniscus although thankfully I didn't need surgery to repair it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KK 04. Dude in the pit had to have a "minor" testicular surgery in Iowa. No joke, it was a type of hernia where part a and part b got twisted.

No. Really.

Came from the hospital pretty drugged up from the morning procedure and thought he could play that show that night. His "area' was pretty heavily gauzed. We tried to tell him to just relax for at least the night but he was persistent. He stepped into his pants, got the zipper up about halfway and says "I can't do it guys". He started performing with us a night or two later. We all felt so bad, yet, couldn't stop laughing. His nickname the rest of tour (which was his age out after I think 4 years) was "twister".

THIS WINS!!!! And that's a mean nickname :thumbup:

in 1982 my brother, a bariton player, had his wisdom teeth on one side pulled. The dentist told him he couldn't play his horn for at least a week, but he was out on the field with us the next day. Luckily we had a dentist on our M&M staff who had him pack his wisdom teeth area with a tea bag to keep the bleeding down while he performed.

in 1982 my brother, a bariton player, had his wisdom teeth on one side pulled. The dentist told him he couldn't play his horn for at least a week, but he was out on the field with us the next day. Luckily we had a dentist on our M&M staff who had him pack his wisdom teeth area with a tea bag to keep the bleeding down while he performed.

Yikes! That sounds supper painful. :wall:

Totally off-topic but I remember when I had three removed at the same time before drum corps season and later had to get surgery for the last one because the tooth had grown sideways but never surfaced. Most painful procedures ever! I couldn't pick up my trumpet for a week. :worthy:

Edited by sopchick_01

Why would you get your wisdom teeth pulled in the middle of tour?

I have to get mine pulled really soon, between camps/

I belileve it was right before the season started and I think they were impacted and he had no choice.

Not exactly an injury, but marching with a Crohn's Disease flare up suuuucks.... :wall:

• 1 month later...

I marched my age out year (1994) with Patellar Tendonitis in both knees, as well as Osteochondritis Dissecans in both knees. I waited until after the season to have them scoped so I wouldn't miss any show time.

Fun Times...

what a bunch of sissies!!! you guys never had it bad at all, not like me. once, at retreat, we had all the contras set just perfect on the ground and knelt down to pick them up. now, normally, we would kneel, grab our horns, and pop back up in unison, but not this night. we stayed kneeling down for what felt like gee, i don't know, minutes. needless to say, my foot totally fell asleep, and when our section leader gave the command to stand, i half stood, half fell down, had to catch myself and totally screwed up our uniformity. it was brutal man, brutal. a horrific sports injury if ever there was one but you know what? next morning, for stretch and basics, i was right there dude, ironman, gutting it out, recently sleeping foot and all.

top that, suckas!