Worst Injury you marched a show with

We are all either crazy, or extremely diehard and dedicated :lol:

July 2000....during sectionals, I took a sabre to the eye...it was pretty bad. Couldn't open it, didn't know if there was any severe damage, loss of vision. I missed a day and a half of rehearsal and couldn't stand to sit there and not do anything anymore. I'll have to dig up some pictures...I know one made it into Drum Corps World. lol

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my lovely bride was marching with Geneseo Knights, they had really bad lighting for their night rehearsals. One night she took a flagpole to the face...one black eye. Then it happened again...two black eyes. Earned her the nickname "Adrian." Figure it out.

Garry in Vegas

When my lovely bride was marching with Geneseo Knights, they had really bad lighting for their night rehearsals. One night she took a flagpole to the face...one black eye. Then it happened again...two black eyes. Earned her the nickname "Adrian." Figure it out.

Garry in Vegas

oh come on... don't be such a tease...

I have a condition called Plantar Fasciitis, caused by me having very flat feet. It's caused by the thin muscle on the bottom of the foot not having enough support (no arch), so after long periods of walking, I feel like the bottom of my feet are ripping. It hit me worst this past summer, because we tried out Premier's new prototype tenors, and those things are way heavier than what we were accustomed to. I could go about a half hour each field block before it would start to hurt. Then, every time I took a step, I felt a painful tear in the bottom of my foot. The best I could do was to drug up on Ibuprofen.

Not to mention chronic tendonitis. That sucks too.

We are all either crazy, or extremely diehard and dedicated :huh:

July 2000....during sectionals, I took a sabre to the eye...it was pretty bad. Couldn't open it, didn't know if there was any severe damage, loss of vision. I missed a day and a half of rehearsal and couldn't stand to sit there and not do anything anymore. I'll have to dig up some pictures...I know one made it into Drum Corps World. lol

Only picture I could find so far...3 days after it happened.

wally_wanda.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. I killed another thread. lol

Thats my job,killer.Nice shiner.Still cute :cool:

I marched a show after stepping on a broken piece of glass once.

Ive been marching the last 8 years with foot parts missing and ulcers on the bottom of my feet.

Thank God for percocets. :devil:

I marched both summers with a double ingloidal hernia. Stupid now that I think of it, but I wasn't going to not march.

And we were going to have shirts made about that!

I marched with a dislocated spine the last week of my age out year. Seems my back decided to make a question mark without my permission. The funny thing was that you could actually see my back out of alignment, but everyone decided to ridicule me because of it (as if I was trying to make us loose DCI by not rehearsing). I was in absolutely terrible pain and I was eating Persogesics (practically). It happened on Monday morning and by Thursday I had made an attempt to be at most of the rehearsal. Now, mind you I played contra, so not only would I have to march like that with about 40 lbs on my left shoulder, but I also had to hoist that horn over my head at the end of the show in the "victory" position BD did at the end of the prelims/finals show during that era. It was something I had to dig deep to do, but I finished the season marching. That pretty much was the last time I'd either play contra or sousaphone (in the college band) for many years to come. It kind of felt "weird" this summer playing a Bb marching tuba for the alumni performance because those memories came back in my mind.

DCI:

Bruised ligaments in my right hand from sabre, could barely spin due to not being able to close my hand.

But that's not as bad as my left shoulder having an inflamed subscapularis muscle that spread to cause wear on my acromiom-clavicular joint.

That injury destroyed my endurance risking further injury and wear and tear of the muscles so my season was ultimately done in.

WGI:

Absolutely destroyed ligaments in my right foot, bone bruise to boot, massive swelling..all in the first show. But I did finish that season.