DCI partners with Aerobed

Nine years of corps with a sleeping bag and pad. Plus approximately on year of camping. 20 years later no back problems.

My real problem with all of this stuff is waste. Tons of rechargable batteries and broken beds ending up in the landfill. It makes me sad.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have to tell ya, I haven't had a single bit of waste from air bed yet, besides the plastic and box it came in. I've seen more foam pads and sleeping bags tossed at the end of a summer than air beds.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not trying to highjack this thread...

but I always thought that DCI should get some sort of sponsorship/ partnership with Smuckers and Peter Pan! Tons of the stuff is consumed every summer by Drum Corps folks.

AIR MATTRESSES... THIS I BELIEVE!

:smile:

1. Some people own pumps that are battery operated...at least I did. That eliminated the problem of power cord space.

2. Not everybody owns/believes in/ air mattresses. For my first 2years at Scouts...they were not allowed. Air/foam pads are just as comfy.

3. The only time I really used my air mattress is when we were at a housing site for multiple days. Personally, I was just too lazy/tired/over it to blow up my mattress at 3am...I just wanted to sleep.

Aero beds take 60sec to blow up. Everyone's doing it at the end of the night (or beginning, depending on how late you roll up.) So the noise isn't an issue. Also, if you're a a housing site for a couple nights, you leave it blown up.

There will be those who sleep on the floor. There'll be those who use an army cot. Then you'll also have those kids with the double deck king sized airmattress. To each his own.

On tour in 05, I used just a backpacking air pad, which put me to sleep fine. Heck, we sleep on moving busses, it's not the material under us that helps us sleep. It's about the comfort and ability to recharge for the next day. I ended up developing a pretty bad knee and back problem from sleeping on my skinny pad, and had to get through finals week on Vicodin from my mom. This year, I'm definitely going to buy an air-mattress, probably DCI's special.

we were actually only allowed to take a mat/air mattress that would roll up inside our sleeping bag this summer because of the space foam/rubber/whatever mats take up in the bus bays. It posed a problem with breaking doors in the past-therefore i left my mat at home-i even dropped the air mattress idea because i was too lazy to carry it around all summer...Usually i was fine because i'm a stomach sleeper, but there were many nights when i wished i had one :)

Aerobeds (at least the ones you plug in) take 60 seconds to fill... outlets arent that hard to find usually (and the smart ones bring a powerstrip for their cell phone, and to plug in the cell phone that may have beat them to the wall outlet.

60 seconds less sleep due to waiting for the mattress to inflate is more than compensated by how much better that sleep is.

oh, and as someone else said, its not that hard to sleep through the sound of the pumps.... i never made it more than a minute or two after i hit the pillow on tour.

I was used to sleeping on the bare floor with just the bottom of my sleeping bag as a cushion, and it worked for me then. It wouldn't work for me now. I've seen the AeroBeds and would have coveted one in a heartbeat back then if they were available.

I would never say that kids today are softer. I would say they are intelligent enough to seriously consider available products that make their lives more comfortable, if they so chose.

I have become a real fan of comfort.

I used an air mattress back when I marched but I had to blow it up myself, so I would lay on it and then blow it up. I considered it just another breathing exercise.

Might have something to do with why I could play louder, longer than just about anyone else in the hornline.